Which Vulgate?

  • Peter Gibson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2007
      Peter, I assume this is 5th edition of the Stuttgart Vulgate. I'm still using the 3d edition I bought in the '80's (after Father Weber died, but under his name, not Gryson's). The big editions are the Roman (San Giralomo, completed now) for the Old Testament, and the Oxford (Wordsworth-White) edition for the New Testament. The big editions have all the variants, but the select apparatus in the Stuttgart edition updates and corrects them and simplifies it all--if actual Vulgate criticism is in question.
      You have to have Stuttgart on hand for what the editors consider the definitive Vulgate text. For the critical restoration of "original texts," the Vulgate plays a part (several parts), as well as the Massoretic text, the LXX, the Old Latin (for Tobit, Judith, Esther), Syriac, Qumran, etc. And the editions of these other texts assume the authority of the Stuttgart edition for Vulgate. (I see members of the same teams are shared in the big editions and in Stuttgart through the years.)
      I often check the references of my old Kittel or Rialfs (and Nestle-Aland and the New Vulgate) against the Stuttgart Vulgate, and then get lesser known information about the minor variants piecemeal rather than finding the latest big editions.
      If it helps. It's always a major expenditure to get another volume . . .
      --Peter F.X.