Which Vulgate edition for TC?

  • Peter Gurry
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2007
      Hello all,

      I'm looking to purchase a Vulgate soon, but I'm not familiar with the available options for Latin Bibles. I'm looking for the Old and New Testaments and the most up-to-date text and apparatus. What should I get? The newest edition I've found on scholarly-bibles.org  is the 4th corrected edition  by R. Gryson, B. Fischer, H.I. Frede, H.F.D. Sparks, and W. Thiele. Is that what I should be getting? My main purpose in getting this is text-critical, if that helps. Thanks so much.

      Peter
    • idou747
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2007
        Yes, that's the one you want. It has a critical text with apparatus.

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Gurry" <uspatriot@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm looking to purchase a Vulgate soon, but I'm not familiar with the
        > available options for Latin Bibles. I'm looking for the Old and New
        > Testaments and the most up-to-date text and apparatus. What should I
        > get? The newest edition I've found on scholarly-bibles.org
        > <http://www.scholarly-bibles.com/en/products/originaltexts.html?show_pag\
        > e=3&product_show=44>
        > <http://www.scholarly-bibles.com/en/products/originaltexts.html?show_pag\
        > e=3&product_show=44> is the 4th corrected edition
        > <http://www.scholarly-bibles.com/en/products/originaltexts.html?show_pag\
        > e=3&product_show=44> by R. Gryson, B. Fischer, H.I. Frede, H.F.D.
        > Sparks, and W. Thiele. Is that what I should be getting? My main purpose
        > in getting this is text-critical, if that helps. Thanks so much.
        >
        > Peter

      • James Spinti
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2007
          Message
          Peter,

          According to my sales rep at ABS, there is a 5th edition coming out very soon. Theoretically, it was supposed to be available in October, but I haven't see it yet. The apparatus has been updated on Ruth, Isaiah, and Revelation.

          If there is a more detailed edition, I am not aware of it--but would love to know!

          I am hoping to find out more about the status of the 5th edition at AAR/SBL this week.

          James

          ________________________________
          James Spinti
          Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
          jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
          Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
          Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
          Fax: 574-269-6788

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2007
            Message
            I just received a flier in the mail today from ABS saying that they will have copies available at both ETS and AAR/SBL in their booth. I am therefore assuming that I will be getting them in here at Eisenbrauns in the next few days...

            HTH,
            James

            ________________________________
            James Spinti
            Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
            jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
            Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
            Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
            Fax: 574-269-6788

            I'm looking to purchase a Vulgate soon, but I'm not familiar with the available options for Latin Bibles. I'm looking for the Old and New Testaments and the most up-to-date text and apparatus. What should I get? The newest edition I've found on scholarly-bibles.org  is the 4th corrected edition  by R. Gryson, B. Fischer, H.I. Frede, H.F.D. Sparks, and W. Thiele. Is that what I should be getting? My main purpose in getting this is text-critical, if that helps. Thanks so much.

            Peter
          • Chris Weimer
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 12, 2007
              Count me in as another interested in the 5th edition. I have the
              fourth edition already, I wonder what changes would be made to the
              text, or if it will be just be the app crit additions in Ruth, Isaiah,
              and Revelation...

              Chris Weimer

              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James Spinti" <jspinti@...>
              wrote:

              > Peter,
              >
              > According to my sales rep at ABS, there is a 5th edition coming out very
              > soon. Theoretically, it was supposed to be available in October, but I
              > haven't see it yet. The apparatus has been updated on Ruth, Isaiah, and
              > Revelation.
              >
              > If there is a more detailed edition, I am not aware of it--but would
              > love to know!
              >
              > I am hoping to find out more about the status of the 5th edition at
              > AAR/SBL this week.
              >
              > James
            • Peter Gurry
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
                James,

                Do you know if this is an actual fifth edition, or is this really just
                the 4th revised edition as listed on scholarly-bibles.com? Let me know
                when you find out more. I'm looking to ask for a Vulgate for Christmas
                and I'd like to get the most recent.

                Peter

                wrote:

                > I just received a flier in the mail today from ABS saying that they
                will
                > have copies available at both ETS and AAR/SBL in their booth. I am
                > therefore assuming that I will be getting them in here at Eisenbrauns
                in
                > the next few days...
                >
                > HTH,
                > James
                >
                > ________________________________
                > James Spinti
                > Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                > Eisenbrauns, Good books for more than 30 years
                > Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
                > jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                > Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com <http://www.eisenbrauns.com/>
                > Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
                > Fax: 574-269-6788

              • James Spinti
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
                  I am leaving for AAR/SBL tomorrow, and on Friday I will be able to
                  physically have one in my hands. It is SUPPOSED to be an actual new
                  edition, but I will try to post to the list what I find out--if I can
                  get Internet access.

                  James