Re: Mark 7:3 and P45

  • Eric Rowe
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
      The history of hand washing halakha in relation to Mark 7:3 has been
      the subject of tons of articles and books already, the fullest of
      which that I've seen is Jesus and the Laws of Purity, by Roger Booth,
      JSOT, 1986. Scholars aren't all in agreement about the state of hand
      washing in pre-70 Judaism. But regardless of pre-70 or post-70 it
      seems like the phrase "all the Jews" is not accurate in the strictly
      literal sense. I would just read it as hyperbole, just like when Mark
      says that "all the Jews" went out to see John the Baptist. I suppose
      it is an explanatory gloss, but one Mark made to his source, not one
      that a scribe made to Mark. If someone objects that Mark couldn't have
      come up with it because it wasn't true in his day, I would say that it
      still wasn't true of ALL the Jews at any later time. Since it's
      hyperbole it could just as easily have been written before 70 as after.