Re: [textualcriticism] Mark 7:3 and P45

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
      Here is the precise text of P45 at Mk 7.3, 4 as published in Comfort & Barrett.

      3εσθειουσιν κρατουντες την] παραδοσιν των πρεσβυτερ[ων 4και
      απ αγορας εαν μη β]α[π]τ[ι]σωνται ουκ εσθειουσιν και αλλα π[ολ
      λα εστιν α παρελα]βον κρατειν βαπτισμους ποτηριων κ[αι ξεστων και χαλ
      κιων

      Comfort, P. W., & Barrett, D. P. (2001). The text of the earliest New Testament Greek manuscripts (A corrected, enlarged ed. of The complete text of the earliest New Testament manuscripts) (168). Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House.

      george
      gfsomsel

      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus
      _________

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
        AFAIK there is no external evidence whatever to suggest it
        is not original.

        However, it was recently suggested on another discussion
        board, that on internal evidence it might be a gloss since
        it would seem to correspond more to the situation after
        70 CE than to that before 70 CE.

        Andrew Criddle

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2007
          The history of hand washing halakha in relation to Mark 7:3 has been
          the subject of tons of articles and books already, the fullest of
          which that I've seen is Jesus and the Laws of Purity, by Roger Booth,
          JSOT, 1986. Scholars aren't all in agreement about the state of hand
          washing in pre-70 Judaism. But regardless of pre-70 or post-70 it
          seems like the phrase "all the Jews" is not accurate in the strictly
          literal sense. I would just read it as hyperbole, just like when Mark
          says that "all the Jews" went out to see John the Baptist. I suppose
          it is an explanatory gloss, but one Mark made to his source, not one
          that a scribe made to Mark. If someone objects that Mark couldn't have
          come up with it because it wasn't true in his day, I would say that it
          still wasn't true of ALL the Jews at any later time. Since it's
          hyperbole it could just as easily have been written before 70 as after.