Re: Ac 16.12 (textual conjecture)

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2007
      Reid: What Greg said.
      And the text doesn't use the article "the" first city, so maybe
      something is going on: it isn't the first city of Macedonia they came
      to (Neapolis is that), and "a leading city" looks like a correction
      of the accepted idiom for a capital. (D 05 uses kephale, like
      capital.) The Arndt-Gingrich-Danker lexicon under the word meris
      gives more, and this is the Bauer reference Metzger and Aland mean in
      their objection to the decision. (The lexicon is heavy on secular
      Greek background, light on Hellenistic Jewish usage.)
      With so many possibilities, one is that prwths was written as
      alpha+ending: Aths--and thus became "prwth ths." If the prwth
      meant "former"--now a Roman colony--the "estin" is hard to explain,
      and formerly (prwton) would have been expected.
      But none of these occur in the MSS. The Catholics in Nova Vulgata try
      to follow UBS where possible, and couldn't do so here.
      It's the only case of outright conjecture in NA27 I know of (and here
      there are 3 agreeing Vulgate MSS. that are probably doing the same
      conjecture; they aren't even mentioned in Stuttgart Vulg.).
      But there are ways of hiding a conjecture. For instance, at Luke
      24:50, none of the cited MSS give "exw ews pros," but they split the
      apparatus between exw and pros.
      And whenever they come out with the smooth Byzantine reading on a
      phrase that conflates two earlier readings, they split the apparatus
      to make it look Alexandrian. For example, in John 16:18 they have two
      early readings: ti estin touto to "mikron"/ ti estin touto o legei
      mikron/ (with a variant order of touto ti estin). It looks like
      the "to recitativum" caused the variants and versions, while
      Byzantine is conflate. NA uses the Byzantine, but hides it by
      treating "to" and "o legei" separately.
      In these cases, they need to split the apparatus because the versions
      are good witness for part, and useless for the other part--but not
      for the whole--of a phrase. Be circumspect.
      There are three or four places where they could have used a
      conjecture but don't mention one, and one where they could have had
      better conjectures to work with. Not all conjectures are out of the
      question.
      --Pete

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Crawford" <gc@...>