Question re MS 424 in 1 John

  • David Robert Palmer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2007
      In the first epistle of John, the minuscule 424 (11th-12th century) generally has its original hand with the Majority Text, and in approx 3/4 of variants, its corrector with the NA27 reading.  Does anyone know who the corrector was, and why he did this?

      Moreover, in the Apocalypse of John the orig. hand varies between the readings of Aleph (01) and 046.  Hoskier in Text 1 p. 70 says, "This is another kind of key MS., showing where certain archetypes of Aleph (01) and B (046) came together before their descendants drifted apart, as at iii. 20 +KAI (ante EISELEUSOMAI); or..."  Hoskier states that its "...origin antedates 01 A C P 046."  (Hosk. disputes the 11th cent. date; says it is later.)

      The other literature on this MS, which I do not have access to, are:

      N.N. Birdsall 'A Byzantine Calendar from the Menology of two Biblical MSS' Anal Boll 84 (1966) pp. 29-57 (see also 13, 250, l547, l1748)

      A & A 45

      BDA 380 and plate 21

      Hunger (1992) pp. 345-56

      Schmid I p. 82

      Staab, Pauluskommentare p. xv

      Spatharakis (1981) nr 8 plates 22-3

      von Soden (a457) 427, 450

      Vogel and Gardthausen p. 264

      Hunger (1992) pp. 72-7

      Plates*

      David Robert Palmer
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2007
        David Robert Palmer <watutman@...> wrote:
        >In the first epistle of John, the minuscule 424 (11th-12th century) generally
        >has its original hand with the Majority Text, and in approx 3/4 of variants, its
        >corrector with the NA27 reading. Does anyone know who the corrector was, and
        >why he did this?

        From the way it's worded, it almost sounds like the corrector had the NA27
        in hand! I think a better way to characterize the corrections to 424 is
        that they are of a type of text related to 1739, especially 6.

        Stephen Carlson

        --
        Stephen C. Carlson
      • Daniel Buck
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2007

          "Stephen C. Carlson" wrote:
          >> From the way it's worded, it almost sounds like the corrector had
          the NA27 in hand! I think a better way to characterize the
          corrections to 424 is that they are of a type of text related to
          1739, especially 6. <<

          Daniel Buck adds:
          Indeed, neither the Pierpont/Robinson nor the Hodges/Farstad texts
          were available to the scribe of 424 either, for that matter!

          But while it is impossible to find any ms the length of 424 in exact
          agreement with the Majority Text (each ms having its own
          ideosyncracies), it is impossible to find anything larger than a
          fragment in exact agreement with the NA-27 text, its readings jumping
          from one widely diverse Alexandrian ms to another over the course of
          a single chapter--although in the absence of the 'infallible' B (03)
          in the Apocalypse, it follows A (02) over the erratic Aleph (01) most
          of the times they diverge. Thus even NA27 could be said to "vary
          between the readings of Aleph (01) and 046" in the Apocalypse.
          Indeed, NA27 and the MT most frequently (by far) stand together
          against the TR in the Apocalypse.
        • Peter Gibson
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 27, 2007
            David, I remembered that Robert Waltz gave his own rendition of the connection of 424** with MSS 6 and 1739, and I checked his description. It adds that there were three correctors, and extends the affinity into Paul, with examples, and uses it for further support of the importance of family 1739. The link is

            if it helps.
            --Pete