Re: [textualcriticism] Codex 012, Boernerianus NOW

  • Daniel B. Wallace
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 15, 2007
      Gary, the images are in color. That's not in the 1909 facsimile is it? Also, you said that you put the images on one CD. However, if each image is 74 mb and there are 222 images, I think you'd need four DVDs to get the images onto.

      Daniel B. Wallace

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 15, 2007

        Thanks Gary,

        One should note however, that this facsimile edition does not reflect the physical manuscript such as facsimiles usually do. In the reproduction of the pages there has been some technique used to retouch and remove a lot of things visible on the physical manuscript.

        David Trobisch, on his homepages, has two images of very poor quality, which, however, can give you a general idea of how the facsimile compares with a colour photo of the real MS.

        With kind regards

        Tommy Wasserman, PhD

        Örebro Thelogical Seminary

        Sweden

        > Från: "mydogregae01" <garyandgale@...>
        > Till: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
        > Rubrik: [textualcriticism] Codex 012, Boernerianus NOW
        > Datum: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:48:10 -0000

        Textual critics, a long awaited event is here. Now you can access a
        FULL copy of Codex Boernerianus. [With Dr. Reinhardt's introduction in
        German included.] For years I tried to access a good copy, I have
        one, and am now sharing it.

        After weeks of preparation I have an extremely high resolution
        complete copy of the 1909 facsimile edition of codex 012 available.
        It is available on a single CD, and runs on any computer.

        The original image scans were about 74 MB apiece, there are 222
        images, and thus cannot fit on my site, so I put them on a CD for a
        modest cost. The resulting images are all in JPEG format. This is the
        only way I can make this unique glorious resource available. More
        information here:

        http://www.biblical -data.org/ 012_offer. html

        or follow link from here:

        www.Biblical- data.org

        This is not your typical Google scan, this is full color, of archival
        quality. This is as good as it gets. Suitable for the most
        discriminating textual critic or scholar. There will probably never
        ever be a better edition of this Greek-Latin codex available, at least
        not this cheap. All orders will be filled on a first come basis, all
        payments in U.S. dollars only. See site for more details.

        sincerely,
        Mr. Gary S. Dykes

        Spray Webbhotell - nu får du ännu mer för pengarna. Klicka här!

      • mydogregae01
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 15, 2007
          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel B. Wallace"
          <csntm@...> wrote:

          > Gary, the images are in color. That's not in the 1909 facsimile is
          it? Also, you said that you put the images on one CD. However, if each
          image is 74 mb and there are 222 images, I think you'd need four DVDs
          to get the images onto.

          Mr. Dykes replies:

          Putting the 72-74 MB tiff images onto 4 DVDs was an option. But as I
          mention on the ordering page on the site:

          www.biblical-data.org

          I instead chose to put them onto a single CD, via JPEG format.
          Economics are also an issue. The JPEG images, in this instance, show
          NO degradation. So it was/is best to put them all on a single disk,
          and much easier to view and use. All of the sample images on the site
          show the outstanding quality of these JPEG images, which are about 2.5
          MB in size. (Refer to the sample image, and to the wallpaper on the
          ordering page). Also, some folks (is Dr. Robinson listening?) still do
          not have DVD readers. :-)

          As to color, again I explain such questions on the ordering page. The
          first 12 pages (up to about Romans 5) of the facsimile edition is in
          full color. From then on, the images are in a sepia like brown tone.
          The color of the actual paper of the printed edition is like a light
          brown paper bag you get at a grocery store. I scanned ALL pages in
          full color -- and the resulting JPEG images are all in high resolution
          600 (DPI) and full color, 16 million or less colors.

          The facsimile edition was not printed via photolithographic offset,
          there are no dots visible under magnification. Rather, as typical of
          its era, it is a photogravure type process, and it produces great
          printing! Thus no moire effects in high resolution scans.

          The introductory PDF file on the CD also has some useful information
          as well as an image of the codex on display and its present condition.

          Dan, the CD images are equivalent to a 23-24 megapixel camera (i.e. in
          pixels 5600 x 4200), I scanned them on a very very good flat bed
          scanner. I tested the results at scans of 300, 600, 1200 and 2400 dpi,
          and went with 600 dpi. It would have been quicker if I had your new
          20-21 megapixel cameras! But then i am not complaining, the CD images
          are outstanding.

          I also did lots of post scanning work, checking to make sure no pages
          were omitted and that no margins were excessively cropped, and that
          the colors were true, et al.. I scanned at 100% size, no size changes
          of the script occurs. I did adjust the "levels" of each image in
          Photoshop to add luminosity (spelled right?), to brighten up the whole
          work, like the very day the codex was created, on fresh bright
          parchment, with fresh inks. It also makes viewing more pleasurable,
          having a brighter image(s).

          I was hoping that the CSNTM would post this codex! But got tired of
          waiting. And my current images go beyond what your new cameras are
          capable of...for the moment.

          There are so many more items to consider for posting -- like I am
          still waiting for the third edition of Stephanus' TR which you have in
          the Dallas library, [not any other edition, but the third only] I
          would love to see it on your site!! But I also know you have important
          priorities, so I must be more patient, yet 012 is now HERE!!!

          sincerely,
          Mr. Gary Dykes
        • mydogregae01
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 15, 2007
            The "retouching" was the printing technique which effectively removed
            COLOR from most of the images, to keep down the printing costs. The
            facsimile edition shows all of the text and the paratextual marks.

            Trobisch shows a few low resolution images, which show the current
            messed up state of the manuscript now. Yet on many pages color remains
            in the original. No real textual data is missing by eliminating the
            color in the sepia toned printing process.

            As an example, if you scanned a color image in black and white, you
            lose the color, but not the details of the script. The printers did
            not manually remove the color, it was down automatically in the
            printing process.

            hope this helps,
            Gary
          • Daniel B. Wallace
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 15, 2007
              Gary, thanks for the helpful information. We'll definitely order a copy. In light of your former desire to see the images of 012 on CSNTM's website, would you permit us to post the images that you have made as long as proper credit is given?

> [...]

              of the script occurs. I did adjust the "levels" of each image in
              Photoshop to add luminosity (spelled right?), to brighten up the whole
              work, like the very day the codex was created, on fresh bright
              parchment, with fresh inks. It also makes viewing more pleasurable,
              having a brighter image(s).

              I was hoping that the CSNTM would post this codex! But got tired of
              waiting. And my current images go beyond what your new cameras are
              capable of...for the moment.

              There are so many more items to consider for posting -- like I am
              still waiting for the third edition of Stephanus' TR which you have in
              the Dallas library, [not any other edition, but the third only] I
              would love to see it on your site!! But I also know you have important
              priorities, so I must be more patient, yet 012 is now HERE!!!

              ----- End Original Message -----
            • Tommy Wasserman
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 16, 2007

                Dear Gary,

                Just to get everything right - my first response was direct from my memory of David Trobisch's presentation at the SBL in Groningen in 2004 - I contacted David for the details about the facsmile of 012 and the physical manuscript which he saw in Dresden, and he allowed me to post his response below. It turns out that the facsimile you refer to has indeed been modified in various ways ... and that a new facsimile is on its way.

                David Trobisch writes:

                "The facsimile is retouched and I do not mean the color of some of the letters. I saw facsimiles of Boernerianus where the color has been added by hand after the printing, which I assume was the practice of the time.

                But what I was shocked to see was that at the end of the manuscript, after Philemon, where pages were left empty for Laodiceans and Hebrews, the facsimile shows empty pages whereas the manuscript has a Latin tractate, which has not been described or identified by the publishers of the facsimile. Likewise there is a Latin text on the pages preceding Romans 1, which is not represented in the facsimile. The text has been erased on the  reproduction.

                Under the guidance of Professor Matthias Klinghardt of Dresden, the tractate has now been the topic of a Master's Thesis of that department. I am not sure if the results have been published yet.

                At the same time I have been informed that a photographic reproduction is now on its way, organized by the manuscript department of the Univserity Library of Dresden. Finally."

                Tommy Wasserman, PhD

                Örebro Theological Seminary

                Sweden

                Pia och Lasse träffades på Spray Date. Läs deras och andras inspirerande kärlekshistorier. Klicka här!

              • mydogregae01
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 16, 2007
                  Dr. Wasserman,

                  Your German may be better than mine, here is part of what Dr.
                  Reichardt says in his intro: (from image 24 on the CD)

                  <<Im übrigen wurden die Farben, die im einfachen Licht-druck
                  verschmiert und daher störend erschienen, durch Retouchierung von der
                  Wiedergabe ausgeschlossen.>>

                  He uses an Anglicized form of the German word for "retouching", yet it
                  is in the context of "process" or "process production" - Wiedergabe.

                  Consequently one MAY infer that manual retouching of the photographic
                  prints or negatives were done to remove the colors in the ornamented
                  letters. Probably by painting over each color with an opaque pigment
                  on the negative. But ALAS!, how was the printing process done?

                  To me it would be much easier to print, but to omit the print runs
                  which add the colors to the already printed dark brown script. This
                  could also be referred to as "retouching" or part of the Wiedergabe.
                  Thus instead of manually removing one by one (hundreds and hundreds)
                  of small color marks, why not eliminate the colors via the printing
                  process? I proposed in the introductory PDF on the CD that the
                  printing process was a photogravure process, with multiple runs
                  (passes) one for each added color. Perhaps based upon Le Blond's method.

                  But we do not positively know how it was printed. In Germany in this
                  era, and England, numerous printing process were being developed and
                  used. Some were closely guarded secrets. However the facsimile edition
                  was printed -- we may be sure of the following:

                  (1) Numerous photographs were taken, probably black and white.

                  (2) Custom inks were made to match the colors of the original.

                  (3) A half tone screen was not used, the colors appear continous.

                  Less certain are:

                  (1) Each full color page received several prints (registered) for each
                  added color.

                  (2) The printing process was via a type of photo-engraved/etched plate
                  or roller.

                  The resulting accuracy and details are exquisite, the work is a
                  masterpiece. One of the best facsimile editions ever produced!

                  You could be correct to suppose that the colors were manually removed
                  plate by plate, with no impingement upon the remaining brown/black
                  script. But this seems unlikely to me, and that by "retouching"
                  Reichardt must mean, removal of ink via the printing process.

                  If anyone else can clarify this, it would be appreciated.

                  sincerely,
                  Mr. Gary S. Dykes
                • mydogregae01
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 17, 2007
                    Dr Wasserman,

                    Thank you for clarification.

                    You noted that Trobisch wrote:

                    David Trobisch writes:

                    "The facsimile is retouched and I do not mean the color of some of the
                    letters. I saw facsimiles of Boernerianus where the color has been
                    added by hand after the printing, which I assume was the practice of
                    the time.
                    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                    He needs to substantiate this claim. I too have seen THE facsimile
                    edition, and saw no added colors added by hand!!

                    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                    But what I was shocked to see was that at the end of the manuscript,
                    after Philemon, where pages were left empty for Laodiceans and
                    Hebrews, the facsimile shows empty pages whereas the manuscript has a
                    Latin tractate, which has not been described or identified by the
                    publishers of the facsimile. Likewise there is a Latin text on the
                    pages preceding Romans 1, which is not represented in the facsimile.
                    The text has been erased on the reproduction.
                    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                    True, but for me the later added material (a commentary on Matthew in
                    Latin) was not actually part of the original codex of Paul's epistles.
                    Trobisch has gone on record on numerous occassion deploring the
                    "missing" later materials not reproduced in the 1909 facsimile
                    edition. If he feels the need to restore the later added extraneous
                    materials fine. But as for me, the preserved Pauline text is well
                    presented in the facsimile edition. "Pages" left blank for the
                    addition of Hebrews is Trobisch's conjecture as well as others.

                    His charge that colors were added to the full color folios is a
                    serious implication. I carefully examined many, I saw brush strokes,
                    but all seemed to be printed colors, not added colors outside of the
                    printing process.

                    However, I have never seen the actual remains of 012. Perhaps Trobish
                    can cheaply provide us with an image of the current coloration (in
                    ultra sharp detail). I often suspect that he views the 1909 edition as
                    competition for his upcoming expensive production.

                    sincerely,
                    Mr. Gary S. Dykes
                  • mydogregae01
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 17, 2007
                      Dr. Wasserman,

                      Sorry for the long notes, but I now sit with my foot in my mouth.
                      After carefully examining numerous close-ups of the colored inital
                      letters, I would agree that they were indeed hand colored AFTER the
                      printing process. I hope he/she carefully copied the color scheme.

                      I trust y'all can excuse a foolish fellow deceived by a careful
                      illiminator.

                      In some of the letters, where the actual ink has chipped/flaked away,
                      you can see where the added color flowed into that space. Now had the
                      color been original, it could not have later flowed into the flaked area.

                      A new facsimile edition would be useful. It is a costly one, as
                      multi-spectral imaging is supposed to be used. However, Dr. David
                      Trobisch has stated that it will be electronically available -- free!!
                      Good news.

                      Again thanks for your patience. This should end this discussion, from
                      which I may be a bit wiser.

                      sincerely,
                      Mr. Gary S. Dykes
                    • Kent Clarke
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 18, 2007
                        Re: [textualcriticism] Codex 012, Boernerianus NOW Hi All:

                        Will these images still be posted to the CSNTM site?

                        Kent

                        Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
                        Reuben J. Swanson Professor of New Testament
                        Textual Criticism, Greek Studies, and Hermeneutics
                        Trinity Western University
                        7600 Glover Road
                        Langley, BC
                        V2Y 1Y1
                        604-513-2121 Ext. 3116
                        kentc@...

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 19, 2007
                          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Kent Clarke <kentc@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All:
                          >
                          > Will these images still be posted to the CSNTM site?
                          >
                          > Kent

                          REPLY:

                          In the future I shall send off a CD for the CSNTM website. But for now
                          they are only available on the CD. And the CD is only available from
                          me. The 1909 printed facsimile is quite rare, and expensive should you
                          be lucky enough to find one. The CD is a complete archival quality
                          copy of the printed edition, in high resolution, full color. The 1909
                          facsimile edition (according the Trobisch) has been THE only
                          method/way in which Biblical scholars have worked with the codex,
                          since 1945. It is a great and beautiful piece of work, worthy of your
                          institution and collection.

                          sincerely,
                          Mr. Gary S. Dykes

                          > On 10/14/07 1:48 PM, "mydogregae01" <garyandgale@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Textual critics, a long awaited event is here. Now you can access a
                          > > FULL copy of Codex Boernerianus. [With Dr. Reinhardt's introduction in
                          > > German included.] For years I tried to access a good copy, I have
                          > > one, and am now sharing it.
                          > >
                          > > After weeks of preparation I have an extremely high resolution
                          > > complete copy of the 1909 facsimile edition of codex 012 available.
                          > > It is available on a single CD, and runs on any computer.
                          > >
                          > > The original image scans were about 74 MB apiece, there are 222
                          > > images, and thus cannot fit on my site, so I put them on a CD for a
                          > > modest cost. The resulting images are all in JPEG format. This is the
                          > > only way I can make this unique glorious resource available. More
                          > > information here:
                          > >
                          > > http://www.biblical-data.org/012_offer.html
                          > >
                          > > or follow link from here:
                          > >
                          > > www.Biblical-data.org
                          > >
                          > > This is not your typical Google scan, this is full color, of archival
                          > > quality. This is as good as it gets. Suitable for the most
                          > > discriminating textual critic or scholar. There will probably never
                          > > ever be a better edition of this Greek-Latin codex available, at least
                          > > not this cheap. All orders will be filled on a first come basis, all
                          > > payments in U.S. dollars only. See site for more details.
                          > >
                          > > sincerely,
                          > > Mr. Gary S. Dykes

                        • Daniel B. Wallace
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 20, 2007
                            Well, almost the only way. I spent some time with Boernerianus in 2002. Since Dresden had been part of East Germany, few scholars had had an opportunity to see the manuscript. There was a log that covered more than a century. The last American to see the manuscript in the flesh had been Bacon in 1920. I also got some fresh photographs of the manuscript, but only for a few pages. Superb quality, but, as is too often the case, I was not allowed to post them on CSNTM's website.

                            Daniel B. Wallace
                            Executive Director
                            (www.csntm.org)

                            ----- End Original Message -----