Re: [textualcriticism] Vulgate textual base

  • K. Martin Heide
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 28, 2004
      Chris wrote:
      K. Martin Heide wrote:

       > The Greek manuscripts used for revision are generally of the early
       > Byzantine texttype,

      Which manuscripts do you include as "early Byzantine"?

      Codices like Alexandrinus (in the gospels), Codex W (in part only), the purple codices N, Q, P etc.,
      i.e. those manuscripts of the 4th and 5th century which are antecedent of the later Byzantine manuscripts, but still have
      some Alexandrinian readings. Fischer also takes the Cappadocian church-fathers into consideration. That does not mean
      that Jerome had exactly these mss before him, but that he revised the gospels with the help of mss having a texttype which is known
      from these mss.
       >as you find to with the purple codices, with a relatively large
      admixture of Egyptian radings, or, as Fischer remarked, of the so-called
      "Caesarean" texttpy

      Are you saying the early Byzantine have a large mixture of Egyptian and
      Caesarian readings, or are you saying that Jerome mixed in a lot of them?

      As I wrote and clarified in  my second mail, only the gospels were revised according to a text known from the manuscripts mentioned above. I am definitely not saying,"the early Byzantine mss have a large mixture of Egyptian and Caesarian readings". I only referred to
      Fischer who remarked that Jerome used early Koine Greek mss for revision  which might have had a so-called Caesarean admixture:
      "einen zeitgenössischen Text der frühantiochenischen Art, dem man vielleicht nach einer heute glücklicherweise wieder absterbenden
      Mode etwas caäsareensischen Einschlag zusprechen könnte" (p. 64 in Fischers article).

      Martin

      --

      CJB

      *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*