Re: three questions from Taras

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2007
      Dear Taras,

      Please see below...

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Tariel Picus
      <tarielpicus@...> wrote:

      > 17:52:21 Sunday, September 9, 2007
      >
      > Dear Friends, greetings. My name is Taras and I'm a PhD
      > student at the Evangelical Theological Faculty (Leuven,
      > Belgium). As I am thinking about a topic of my dissertation
      > I have gotten three questions:
      >
      > 1. First of all, I am very much interested in the issue of
      > conflation in Byzantine text-type (actually, I did a
      > tentative search for conflation in Galatians for my MTh
      > thesis in response to W-H). The question is: would it be
      > appropriate if I do a (tentative) research into conflation
      > on the basis of (all) available textual apparatuses? Or you
      > think the only appropriate way is to work with (digitized
      > versions of all) available manuscripts?

      My personal opinion is that it is always a good idea to work with the
      manuscripts themselves. (See the Alands' twelfth rule of textual
      criticism, Aland K. and B. _The Text of the New Testament_, rev. ed.,
      tr. Erroll Rhodes, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1989.) However, this can be
      quite hard to do because the manuscripts or images of them can be
      difficult to access.

      On the practical side, there is not a great number of digitized
      manuscripts (MSS) available, especially of minuscules. Perhaps you
      could encode a few minuscules as part of your work? See my chapter in
      this book for a discussion of how to encode New Testament MSS:

      https://secure.aidcvt.com/sbl/ProdDetails.asp?ID=067006P&PG=1&Type=BL&PCS=SBL

      Associated files can be found here:

      http://www.sbl-site.org/resources/resources_manuscriptmarkup.aspx

      > 2. The second topic I'm interested in is a comparative
      > analysis of the NT text of papyri. And again the question is
      > the same: would it be appropriate to work with existent
      > collated critical edition(s) of the papyri, or I should then
      > work with the actual available images of the papyri? Do you
      > know if there are any contemporary researches which has been
      > done with regard to this?

      Please see my dissertation:

      http://purl.org/tfinney/PhD/

      This only covers Hebrews. The same techniques could be applied to
      other parts of the New Testament. If I were doing the work today, I
      would encode the MSS using TEI XML and would use the "R" statistical
      package to do the analysis.

      > 3. The third possible topic is the text of a book of the NT
      > in one of the Greek Fathers. I know that there have been
      > published 7 books in the series titled "The New Testament in
      > the Greek Fathers". Are you aware of any ongoing researches
      > into this topic?

      This would be a very worthy topic. Perhaps you could contact Michael
      Holmes, the series editor, to find out who is doing what. (See
      http://www.sbl-site.org/Publications/Publications_Books_NTGrF_SeriesDetails.aspx.)

      > I would appreciate any comments/help/thoughts and further
      > questions with regard to these three questions.

      If you have a technical penchant, you might take a look at my latest
      ramblings:

      http://purl.org/tfinney/NTText/book/

      Some of what is said there might help you decide how to arrange any
      data produced during your research. (I think that carefully
      established patristic texts constitute very important reference points
      in the maps produced by multivariate techniques such as
      multidimensional scaling. Such texts will provide useful time and
      place markers in the New Testament "textual space".)

      Best,

      Tim Finney