Explaining the Western Text tradition in Acts

  • Webb
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2007

      Dear List,

      I’m doing a translation of the NT, and am left at sea by Metzger’s long explanation of the Western versus Alexandrian editions of Acts in his Textual Commentary on the GNT. I’m rather of the opinion that the Western tradition usually shows the hand of an editor of the original, Lukan text of Acts. What do you think of this as possible text for a footnote for my non-expert readers?

      Acts appears to be passed down through the centuries in two editions, the one apparently a slightly longer re-write of the other. Although it is not impossible that Luke himself is the one who did the re-write, I have followed the briefer, and probably earlier, of the two editions.

      Webb Mealy