Taras' Three Questions

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2007
      Greetings Taras,

      T: "Would it be appropriate if I do a (tentative) research into
      conflation on the basis of (all) available textual apparatuses? Or
      you think the only appropriate way is to work with (digitized
      versions of all) available manuscripts?"

      For a thorough analysis of conflations in the Byzantine text, the
      available textual apparatuses probably would be adequate if all you
      want to do is locate the usual suspects, so to speak. But I suspect
      that the research might be more rewarding if you use all available
      collations. (You could make collations from digital copies, too, but
      that's a lot of work.)

      T: "Would it be appropriate to work with existent collated critical
      edition(s) of the papyri, or I should then work with the actual
      available images of the papyri?"

      I think diplomatic collations would be fine. Why replow plowed
      ground?

      T: "The third possible topic is the text of a book of the NT in one
      of the Greek Fathers. I know that there have been published 7 books
      in the series titled "The New Testament in the Greek Fathers". Are
      you aware of any ongoing researches into this topic?"

      Michael Holmes would be the go-to guy to ask about this.

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Tipton, Indiana (USA)
    • yennifmit
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2007
        Dear Taras,

        Please see below...

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Tariel Picus
        <tarielpicus@...> wrote:

        > 17:52:21 Sunday, September 9, 2007
        >
        > Dear Friends, greetings. My name is Taras and I'm a PhD
        > student at the Evangelical Theological Faculty (Leuven,
        > Belgium). As I am thinking about a topic of my dissertation
        > I have gotten three questions:
        >
        > 1. First of all, I am very much interested in the issue of
        > conflation in Byzantine text-type (actually, I did a
        > tentative search for conflation in Galatians for my MTh
        > thesis in response to W-H). The question is: would it be
        > appropriate if I do a (tentative) research into conflation
        > on the basis of (all) available textual apparatuses? Or you
        > think the only appropriate way is to work with (digitized
        > versions of all) available manuscripts?

        My personal opinion is that it is always a good idea to work with the
        manuscripts themselves. (See the Alands' twelfth rule of textual
        criticism, Aland K. and B. _The Text of the New Testament_, rev. ed.,
        tr. Erroll Rhodes, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1989.) However, this can be
        quite hard to do because the manuscripts or images of them can be
        difficult to access.

        On the practical side, there is not a great number of digitized
        manuscripts (MSS) available, especially of minuscules. Perhaps you
        could encode a few minuscules as part of your work? See my chapter in
        this book for a discussion of how to encode New Testament MSS:

        https://secure.aidcvt.com/sbl/ProdDetails.asp?ID=067006P&PG=1&Type=BL&PCS=SBL

        Associated files can be found here:

        http://www.sbl-site.org/resources/resources_manuscriptmarkup.aspx

        > 2. The second topic I'm interested in is a comparative
        > analysis of the NT text of papyri. And again the question is
        > the same: would it be appropriate to work with existent
        > collated critical edition(s) of the papyri, or I should then
        > work with the actual available images of the papyri? Do you
        > know if there are any contemporary researches which has been
        > done with regard to this?

        Please see my dissertation:

        http://purl.org/tfinney/PhD/

        This only covers Hebrews. The same techniques could be applied to
        other parts of the New Testament. If I were doing the work today, I
        would encode the MSS using TEI XML and would use the "R" statistical
        package to do the analysis.

        > 3. The third possible topic is the text of a book of the NT
        > in one of the Greek Fathers. I know that there have been
        > published 7 books in the series titled "The New Testament in
        > the Greek Fathers". Are you aware of any ongoing researches
        > into this topic?

        This would be a very worthy topic. Perhaps you could contact Michael
        Holmes, the series editor, to find out who is doing what. (See
        http://www.sbl-site.org/Publications/Publications_Books_NTGrF_SeriesDetails.aspx.)

        > I would appreciate any comments/help/thoughts and further
        > questions with regard to these three questions.

        If you have a technical penchant, you might take a look at my latest
        ramblings:

        http://purl.org/tfinney/NTText/book/

        Some of what is said there might help you decide how to arrange any
        data produced during your research. (I think that carefully
        established patristic texts constitute very important reference points
        in the maps produced by multivariate techniques such as
        multidimensional scaling. Such texts will provide useful time and
        place markers in the New Testament "textual space".)

        Best,

        Tim Finney