three questions from Taras

  • Tariel Picus
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2007
      17:52:21 Sunday, September 9, 2007

      Dear Friends, greetings. My name is Taras and I'm a PhD
      student at the Evangelical Theological Faculty (Leuven,
      Belgium). As I am thinking about a topic of my dissertation
      I have gotten three questions:

      1. First of all, I am very much interested in the issue of
      conflation in Byzantine text-type (actually, I did a
      tentative search for conflation in Galatians for my MTh
      thesis in response to W-H). The question is: would it be
      appropriate if I do a (tentative) research into conflation
      on the basis of (all) available textual apparatuses? Or you
      think the only appropriate way is to work with (digitized
      versions of all) available manuscripts?

      2. The second topic I'm interested in is a comparative
      analysis of the NT text of papyri. And again the question is
      the same: would it be appropriate to work with existent
      collated critical edition(s) of the papyri, or I should then
      work with the actual available images of the papyri? Do you
      know if there are any contemporary researches which has been
      done with regard to this?

      3. The third possible topic is the text of a book of the NT
      in one of the Greek Fathers. I know that there have been
      published 7 books in the series titled "The New Testament in
      the Greek Fathers". Are you aware of any ongoing researches
      into this topic?

      I would appreciate any comments/help/thoughts and further
      questions with regard to these three questions.

      All the best from the Lord Almighty, Taras.

      --
      Taras N. Dyatlik, Academic Dean
      Donetsk Christian University
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2007
        Greetings Taras,

        T: "Would it be appropriate if I do a (tentative) research into
        conflation on the basis of (all) available textual apparatuses? Or
        you think the only appropriate way is to work with (digitized
        versions of all) available manuscripts?"

        For a thorough analysis of conflations in the Byzantine text, the
        available textual apparatuses probably would be adequate if all you
        want to do is locate the usual suspects, so to speak. But I suspect
        that the research might be more rewarding if you use all available
        collations. (You could make collations from digital copies, too, but
        that's a lot of work.)

        T: "Would it be appropriate to work with existent collated critical
        edition(s) of the papyri, or I should then work with the actual
        available images of the papyri?"

        I think diplomatic collations would be fine. Why replow plowed
        ground?

        T: "The third possible topic is the text of a book of the NT in one
        of the Greek Fathers. I know that there have been published 7 books
        in the series titled "The New Testament in the Greek Fathers". Are
        you aware of any ongoing researches into this topic?"

        Michael Holmes would be the go-to guy to ask about this.

        Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
        Tipton, Indiana (USA)
      • yennifmit
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2007
          Dear Taras,

          Please see below...

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Tariel Picus
          <tarielpicus@...> wrote:

          > 17:52:21 Sunday, September 9, 2007
          >
          > Dear Friends, greetings. My name is Taras and I'm a PhD
          > student at the Evangelical Theological Faculty (Leuven,
          > Belgium). As I am thinking about a topic of my dissertation
          > I have gotten three questions:
          >
          > 1. First of all, I am very much interested in the issue of
          > conflation in Byzantine text-type (actually, I did a
          > tentative search for conflation in Galatians for my MTh
          > thesis in response to W-H). The question is: would it be
          > appropriate if I do a (tentative) research into conflation
          > on the basis of (all) available textual apparatuses? Or you
          > think the only appropriate way is to work with (digitized
          > versions of all) available manuscripts?

          My personal opinion is that it is always a good idea to work with the
          manuscripts themselves. (See the Alands' twelfth rule of textual
          criticism, Aland K. and B. _The Text of the New Testament_, rev. ed.,
          tr. Erroll Rhodes, Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1989.) However, this can be
          quite hard to do because the manuscripts or images of them can be
          difficult to access.

          On the practical side, there is not a great number of digitized
          manuscripts (MSS) available, especially of minuscules. Perhaps you
          could encode a few minuscules as part of your work? See my chapter in
          this book for a discussion of how to encode New Testament MSS:

          https://secure.aidcvt.com/sbl/ProdDetails.asp?ID=067006P&PG=1&Type=BL&PCS=SBL

          Associated files can be found here:

          http://www.sbl-site.org/resources/resources_manuscriptmarkup.aspx

          > 2. The second topic I'm interested in is a comparative
          > analysis of the NT text of papyri. And again the question is
          > the same: would it be appropriate to work with existent
          > collated critical edition(s) of the papyri, or I should then
          > work with the actual available images of the papyri? Do you
          > know if there are any contemporary researches which has been
          > done with regard to this?

          Please see my dissertation:

          http://purl.org/tfinney/PhD/

          This only covers Hebrews. The same techniques could be applied to
          other parts of the New Testament. If I were doing the work today, I
          would encode the MSS using TEI XML and would use the "R" statistical
          package to do the analysis.

          > 3. The third possible topic is the text of a book of the NT
          > in one of the Greek Fathers. I know that there have been
          > published 7 books in the series titled "The New Testament in
          > the Greek Fathers". Are you aware of any ongoing researches
          > into this topic?

          This would be a very worthy topic. Perhaps you could contact Michael
          Holmes, the series editor, to find out who is doing what. (See
          http://www.sbl-site.org/Publications/Publications_Books_NTGrF_SeriesDetails.aspx.)

          > I would appreciate any comments/help/thoughts and further
          > questions with regard to these three questions.

          If you have a technical penchant, you might take a look at my latest
          ramblings:

          http://purl.org/tfinney/NTText/book/

          Some of what is said there might help you decide how to arrange any
          data produced during your research. (I think that carefully
          established patristic texts constitute very important reference points
          in the maps produced by multivariate techniques such as
          multidimensional scaling. Such texts will provide useful time and
          place markers in the New Testament "textual space".)

          Best,

          Tim Finney