Obadiah in Syriac

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2007
      Is there perchance a list participant with expertise on the Peshitta of
      Obadiah?

      If so, would said person please contact me.

      Thanks very much

      Jim

      --
      Jim West, ThD

    • Mark Thunderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
        Dear List:

        While reading between the lines, I just happened to
        notice the Crescent Moon symbol in Codex Snaiticus,
        the Gospel of Mark 9:28-29. The passage recounts a
        private conversation between Jesus and His disciples
        as to why they were unable to cast out a demon from a
        young boy (Mark 9:14-27).

        You can see it with your own eyes by clicking the link
        below:

        http://geocities.com/good.seed/

        What is interesting is that, as Matthew tells of this
        same story he is careful to include the detail that
        the boy had been "Moon Struck" (Matthew 17:14-20).
        This raises a number of fascinating questions.
        Perhaps you can help with the following questions:

        1.) Did Matthew gain this insight into the boy being
        Moon Struck by reading the Gospel of Mark, and if so,
        are the scribes of Sinaiticus faithfully reproducing
        the exemplar by including this symbol between the
        lines?

        2.) Why does this symbol appear at this particular
        location in Mark?

        3.) What is the exact meaning of being "Moon Struck"?

        Sincerely,

        Mark Thunderson.

      • David Robert Palmer
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2007
          Is that not an indentation in the material?  Something round pressed into it?

          David Robert Palmer

        • Jovial
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
            A "lunatic" is someone that is "moonstruck" - behaves irrationally.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
              On 3 Sep 2007 at 20:29, David Robert Palmer wrote:

              > Is that not an indentation in the material?Something round pressed into it?

              That's what it looks like to me. It certainly doesn't appear to be a pen mark, and appears to
              be something accidental.

              Dave Washburn
              But I can't say Sylvester, George!
            • Daniel B. Wallace
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
                Dear colleagues,

                I wanted to introduce you to a new software program that helps students in working in the Nestle apparatus. It cuts down on time without cutting down on quality. The program is called “TC Chart Timesaver.” Essentially, it deciphers gothic M almost instantaneously, breaking down the various witnesses of gothic M into text-types and dates, and putting them all in a word document chart. As you know, deciphering gothic M properly is always a slow process, and one that students (and professors!) often get frustrated about. The TC Chart Timesaver cuts out the frustration and the mistakes, and creates a usable chart at the same time. At bottom, it saves up to an hour of work every time it is used.

                The program is available now—just in time for the fall semester. It costs $10 (U.S.) for a download or $11 for a CD (+ $3 for shipping and handling; unfortunately, we are only shipping within North America currently). Thus, the program pays for itself in the first or second usage! The full instruction manual is available right now, allowing professors to examine its features. Rather than try to explain any more, I’ll just direct you to the website: www.nttextualcriticism.com.

                Daniel B. Wallace, Ph.D.
                Executive Director

                P.S. At the current time, this program only works on PCs. The Mac version should be out relatively soon!