Re: [textualcriticism] Bibliographical information needed : Correction

  • A. Dirkzwager
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2007
      David,

      At least one text can be seen differently, if we don't want to accept a
      textual corruption. As we know textual corruption is a well known
      phaenomenon with numbers of years.
      In Gn 11: 26 Terah is said to have been 70 years old when he begat *his
      three sons*. We don't need to suppose that he got triplets. So Gn 11: 26
      means to say that Terah begat his oldest son when he was 70 years old
      and that his sons were Abram, Nahor and Haran.
      Abram does not need to have been his first son. He can be mentioned as
      the first son because he is theologically the most important son.

      We have a parallel in Gn 5: 32, where the sons of Noah seem to be
      triplets. Gn 9: 24 shows that Cham was the youngest son. In Gn 5: 32 he
      is not mentioned as the last son.

      Arie

      A. Dirkzwager,
      Hoeselt, Belgium