Re: [textualcriticism] Bibliographical information needed : Correction

  • David Robert Palmer
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1 9:04 PM
      Footnote 1 to "7:3-51"

      The Text of Acts, pp. 60-61

      Footnote 2 to 7:3-4

      In actuality, however, a strict analysis of the account in Genesis proves that Abraham departed from Haran many years before his father's death at the age of 205 years (Gn 11:32).  According to Gn 11:26 Terah was 70 years old when Abraham was born, and according to Gn 12:4 Abraham was 75 years old when he left Terah, who therefore had sixty more years of life (205--[70+75]=60).

      David Robert Palmer
    • A. Dirkzwager
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2 7:33 AM
        David,

        At least one text can be seen differently, if we don't want to accept a
        textual corruption. As we know textual corruption is a well known
        phaenomenon with numbers of years.
        In Gn 11: 26 Terah is said to have been 70 years old when he begat *his
        three sons*. We don't need to suppose that he got triplets. So Gn 11: 26
        means to say that Terah begat his oldest son when he was 70 years old
        and that his sons were Abram, Nahor and Haran.
        Abram does not need to have been his first son. He can be mentioned as
        the first son because he is theologically the most important son.

        We have a parallel in Gn 5: 32, where the sons of Noah seem to be
        triplets. Gn 9: 24 shows that Cham was the youngest son. In Gn 5: 32 he
        is not mentioned as the last son.

        Arie

        A. Dirkzwager,
        Hoeselt, Belgium