Re: [textualcriticism] Bibliographical information needed : Correction

  • Edward Andrews
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1 1:21 AM
      Philip Maertens:

      Actually, there is no footnote specifically for 7.4, but there is one for 7.3-4.

      "In actuality, however, a strict analysis of the account in Genesis proves that Abraham departed from Haran many years before his father's death at the age of 205 years (gn 11.32). According to Gn 11.26 Terah was 70 years old when Abraham was born, and according to gn 12.4 Abraham was 75 years old when he left Terah, who therefore had sixty more years of life (205-[70+75] = 60)."

      I hope this is the one you needed. Below are the verses that deal with this perceived inconsistancy.

      (Genesis 12:1) And Jehovah proceeded to say to A´bram: “Go your way out of your country and from your relatives and from the house of your father to the country that I shall show you; [after Terah, Abram’s father has died, he is commanded to leave Haran]

      (Genesis 11:26) And Te´rah lived on for seventy years, after which he became father to A´bram, Na´hor and Ha´ran. [When Terah was 70, Abram was born.]

      (Genesis 11:32) And the days of Te´rah came to be two hundred and five years. Then Te´rah died in Ha´ran. [Terah died at the age of 205, which would make Abraham 135 when he left Ur. However…]

      (Genesis 12:4) At that A´bram went just as Jehovah had spoken to him, and Lot went with him. And A´bram was seventy-five years old when he went out from Ha´ran. [12:4 has Abram being only 75 when he leaves Haran.]

      Inconsistency? According to 11:32 Terah died at the age of 205; hence Abram must have been 135 when he was called to leave Haran. But 12:4 says that he was only 75 when he left Haran.

      Edward Andrews

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1 9:04 PM
        Footnote 1 to "7:3-51"

        The Text of Acts, pp. 60-61

        Footnote 2 to 7:3-4

        In actuality, however, a strict analysis of the account in Genesis proves that Abraham departed from Haran many years before his father's death at the age of 205 years (Gn 11:32).  According to Gn 11:26 Terah was 70 years old when Abraham was born, and according to Gn 12:4 Abraham was 75 years old when he left Terah, who therefore had sixty more years of life (205--[70+75]=60).

        David Robert Palmer
      • A. Dirkzwager
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2 7:33 AM
          David,

          At least one text can be seen differently, if we don't want to accept a
          textual corruption. As we know textual corruption is a well known
          phaenomenon with numbers of years.
          In Gn 11: 26 Terah is said to have been 70 years old when he begat *his
          three sons*. We don't need to suppose that he got triplets. So Gn 11: 26
          means to say that Terah begat his oldest son when he was 70 years old
          and that his sons were Abram, Nahor and Haran.
          Abram does not need to have been his first son. He can be mentioned as
          the first son because he is theologically the most important son.

          We have a parallel in Gn 5: 32, where the sons of Noah seem to be
          triplets. Gn 9: 24 shows that Cham was the youngest son. In Gn 5: 32 he
          is not mentioned as the last son.

          Arie

          A. Dirkzwager,
          Hoeselt, Belgium