[textualcriticism] Early Syriac Translation & ETI

  • Benjamin Pehrson
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2007

      In Peter Williams (2004) Early Syriac Translation Technique and the Textual Criticism of the Greek Gospels, he argues (p. 2) that too often an omission in the Syriac has been used to support an assumed Greek Vorlage, and the possibility of formal alterations during the translation process have been explored too little. In his discussion (pp. 163-64) of the adverb ETI ‘still’, he discusses a possible ‘tendency’ of Syriac to omit this adverb (5 of 37 occurrences in the Gospels). In support of Williams’ general argument, I draw your attention to a blog post (http://agaphseis.blogspot.com/2007/08/early-syriac-translation-technique.html) that discusses some translation factors that may have influenced two of the instances where the Syriac omission goes against the entire extant Greek tradition (Lk. 8:49 and Lk. 9:42) and two instances where the Syriac omission might be used to support one Greek reading over another (Jn. 4:35 and Jn. 11:30). Could the apparent redundancy of ETI in the Greek text explain the Syriac omission in all four of these passages?

      Benjamin Pehrson

      Aitape West Translation Project

      Papua New Guinea

    • David Robert Palmer
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
        Hello Benjamin!

        Are you working with SIL?  What is the mame of the language into which you are translating?  I'm thinking Aitape is a name of a region or district, not a language.

        What I really want to get at is, what Greek text do you use as the source text for the New Testament you are working on?

        Thanks.

        David Robert Palmer

        ._,___