Cowley & Neubauer's Hebrew Sirach

  • Jim Darlack
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2007
      I've just uploaded a PDF scan of Cowley & Neubauer's "Original Hebrew of a Portion of Ecclesiasticus."

      The Hebrew text represents part of Manuscript B. This version has been usurped by more modern presentations of the Hebrew text of Ben Sira (the most handy edited by Pancratius Beentjes). Still, Cowley & Neubauer's edition is helpful as it presents the Latin text in one section and the Hebrew, Syriac, Greek, and an English translation of the Hebrew in another. The Syriac of Sirach is particularly pesky to track down, so you can at least get some sense of what's going on in Sirach 39:15-49:11 using this text. Two plates are included, though they are scanned black and white and are not of a good quality.

      See my blog post http://www.oldinthenew.org/2007/08/cowley-neubauers-hebrew-sirach.html