Re: Misquoting Jesus - Lk 24:51-52

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2007
      Dear Matt:

      Maybe, since Lk. 24:51b appears in Sinaiticus as an addition (it
      appears in the upper margin), the intended meaning was something more
      like, "Even a good old witness such as Codex Sinaiticus is capable of
      containing additions and here is one example from Luke 24:51."

      Still, the statement unfortunately is bound to give readers the
      impression that the passage occurs in Sinaiticus as part of the text.

      Regarding the PMA/PNA subject, I think that Dr. Ehrman entered a
      comment about this at the Evangelical Textual Criticism site, as did
      Dr. Maurice Robinson (who also noted the same mistake in another work
      edited by Dr. Ehrman). I think the explanation involved the
      similarity of the two words in cursive, as you suspected.

      Minister, Curtisville Christian Church
      Tipton, Indiana (USA)
      http://www.curtisvillechristian.org/Misquoting.html
    • Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2007

        Dear Matt:

        Maybe, since Lk. 24:51b appears in Sinaiticus as an addition (it
        appears in the upper margin), the intended meaning was something more
        like, "Even a good old witness such as Codex Sinaiticus is capable of
        containing additions and here is one example from Luke 24:51."

        Still, the statement unfortunately is bound to give readers the
        impression that the passage occurs in Sinaiticus as part of the text.

        Regarding the PMA/PNA subject, I think that Dr. Ehrman entered a
        comment about this at the Evangelical Textual Criticism site, as did
        Dr. Maurice Robinson (who also noted the same mistake in another work
        edited by Dr. Ehrman). I think the explanation involved the
        similarity of the two words in cursive, as you suspected.

        Hi James.

        Thanks for the information. I was not aware that the addition appeared in
        the upper margin of Sinaiticus, so that is something new I have learned. I
        think the explanation is possible, but given the statement 'there is an
        addition to the text' I'd agree it is likely to give the wrong impression
        and cause some raised eyebrows.

        I also read your review and found it very informative and useful. Just a
        shame you could not have covered more of the variants.

        Thanks
        Matt

        http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html