Re: [textualcriticism] Peshitta confluence with the GreekTR/Byzantine text

  • Jovial
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2007
      I agree. The field of textual criticism just isn't for monolingual people.
      If two manuscripts have two different but synonymous words, that's a
      significant variant, but it won't come through in translation to English.
      Grammatical differences don't always translate. Sentence structure
      differences won't come through. There's just so much that would get missed
      you can only scratch the surface describing why. Anything completely in
      English shouldn't be taken seriously. I realize that translating into
      English can help explain a few things or reach a wider audience, but that
      needs to be IN ADDITION TO providing the original text. Any serious study
      of textual criticism should include the original language wording.

      Joe