Crescent Moon Rises in Vaticanus

  • Mark Thunderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2007
      Dear Bill Warren and Earl Kellet:

      You wrote:

      > I'm not going to address the issue of using a smudge
      > on a facing page
      > from a readable note to locate a link to a reading
      > in a different ms

      This is very unfortunate, because this is clearly the
      more critical matter that I have brought to this list.
      Sometimes what is right before our face, what is in
      our eyes, we fail to see. Indeed, sometimes hundreds
      of years of tradition (and sometime pride) obscure
      truth, and obscure our claims to pursue the truth.

      Next, you wrote:

      > but on the note in B, as far as Dr. Earl Kellett and
      myself have
      > ascertained with
      > only a limited amount of time given to this, is not
      > a lectionary note
      > but rather is a scribal comment and more or less
      > reads as follows ...
      > In the same manner remember this, while being
      tempted
      > for forty days
      > the Lord did not drink."

      While I commend you for your noble attempt to
      translate the note, I am absolutely certain your
      translation is incorrect. That's right, "incorrect."
      The only way to make sense of this scribal note is to
      have Vaticanus in one hand and Sinaiticus in the other
      hand. At this point it seems fair to me to make the
      assertion that it has been discovered that Sinaiticus
      is the Exemplar for Vaticanus, and that this can be
      supported empirically.

      Those of you who would like a PDF of the translation
      of the scribal note in Vaticanus, please contact me
      off-line. At this point also I will disclose my real
      name below.

      George W. Young, PhD
      email: georgewyoung@...

      Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
    • idou747
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Mark Thunderson <mark.thunderson@...> wrote:
        > At this point it seems fair to me to make the
        > assertion that it has been discovered that Sinaiticus
        > is the Exemplar for Vaticanus, and that this can be
        > supported empirically.

        I am puzzled why you would make such a bold and clearly false assertion. Sinaiticus cannot
        possibly be "the Exemplar" for Vaticanus because the texts are too different.

        Now if you wanted to claim that Sinaiticus is "one of the" exemplars of Vaticanus, maybe just
        maybe that could be considered (with considerably more proof). But how can we take you
        seriously when you make such a wild and clearly false claim?
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
          This thread is now closed.

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Mark Thunderson <mark.thunderson@...> wrote:
          > At this point it seems fair to me to make the
          > assertion that it has been discovered that Sinaiticus
          > is the Exemplar for Vaticanus, and that this can be
          > supported empirically.

          Dr. Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de