RE: [textualcriticism] "The KJV translators had access to Codex Vaticanus and rejected it."

  • Larry Overton
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 14, 2007

      Bravo. A very good rebuttal of Jones’ claims concerning Greek MSS evidence pertaining to the Comma Johanneum. I would, however, like to ask for some clarification, if I may.

      Regarding your citation of data, specifically of “The footnote apparatus herein is data as of about 1993,” would you please elaborate on the sources for the data you mentioned here? On my first reading of that sentence I took it to mean that you were quoting the footnote on 1 John 5:7-8 in the first printing of the fourth edition of the United Bible Societies’ Greek New Testament (a.k.a., UBS4), since that particular edition was published in 1993. However, the data you give is not a verbatim quote of the footnote on 1 John 5:7-8 in either UBS3 (page 824) or UBS4 (page 819).

      For example, you do not indicate, as does UBS4, that MSS Ψ, 1844 & 1852 are enclosed in parentheses for having the reading μαρτυρουσιν instead of μαρτυρουντες. (UBS3 has only MS Ψ enclosed in parentheses).

      Another example: your citation of MS 048 lacks the superscript “vid” (048vid, as found in UBS4), indicating its inclusion at that place in the apparatus is indicative of the “most probable reading” of the MS. It appears on this point you took UBS3 as your source, which also lacks the superscript “vid.”

      Furthermore, you reference uncial MSS 049, 056, 0142 & 0296, but these are not found in the footnote in UBS4. MSS 049, 056 & 0142 (but not 0296) are found in UBS3.

      After citing various “patristic” writers as omitting the Comma, you referred to Hodges-Farstad, Robinson-Pierpont and NA27 as additional editorial support for the omission of the added words in 1 John 5:7-8. However, the apparatus in each of these respective texts do not supply the kind of MS citations you gave in your data.

      So I respectfully ask for some clarification on your sources for this portion of your document. Thanks in advance, and again, Bravo. Job well done.

      Larry G. Overton