Re: Exemplars, Scribes, and Errors of Fright

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2007
      Dear Mark,

      While it is noteworthy that both Vaticanus and Sinaiticus stumble at
      the same place, I don't see this as evidence that Vaticanus was copied
      from Sinaiticus. Instead, I see evidence of confusion in the
      manuscript tradition and/or in the minds of the respective scribes
      over the correct inflection of UIOS, whether nominative (UIOS),
      vocative (UIE), or genitive (UIOU).

      The fact that two manuscripts have scribal alterations at the same
      place does not imply that one is the exemplar of the other.

      There are a lot of textual variations between Sinaiticus and
      Vaticanus. To demonstrate that one is the exemplar of the other, you
      would have to collate their texts then explain why the copy (Vaticanus
      according to your hypothesis) differs so much from the exemplar
      (Sinaiticus, in your hypothesis). You would have to demonstrate that
      the sum total of observed differences is consistent with an
      exemplar/copy pair.

      It seems to me that the texts are too disparate to support your
      hypothesis. (Vaticanus, like Sinaiticus, would have been a major
      undertaking from an economic perspective. If I had been in charge of
      the production, I would have reassigned any scribe who kept making
      changes to the text of the exemplar.)

      Best

      Tim Finney

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Mark Thunderson
      <mark.thunderson@...> wrote:

      > Dear List:
      >
      > Here is an example of variants that occur at the time
      > of producing the manuscript. The examples that I give
      > are (first) from Vaticanus. And then I show how the
      > variants are derived from Sinaiticus (or an exemplar
      > very similar to Sinaiticus). You can see the images
      > of the Codices here:
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/good.seed/AlephandVaticanus.html
      >
      > This is more evidence that (1) Sinaiticus preceeds
      > Vaticanus, and (2) that Sinaiticus is the exemplar for
      > Vaticanus.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Mark Thunderson

      > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
      surfing.
      > http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php

    • Jovial
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 12, 2007
        I would agree that to conclude that Vaticanus was copied directly from
        Sinaiticus is over-reaching. I think they probably had a common origin, but
        they vary too much for one to have come directly from the other. The world
        probably no longer has the text that is their common ancestor, but it sure
        would help fit a lot of the puzzle pieces together if we did!

        Joe

        <mark.thunderson@...> wrote:

        > Dear List:
        >
        > Here is an example of variants that occur at the time
        > of producing the manuscript. The examples that I give
        > are (first) from Vaticanus. And then I show how the
        > variants are derived from Sinaiticus (or an exemplar
        > very similar to Sinaiticus). You can see the images
        > of the Codices here:
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/good.seed/AlephandVaticanus.html
        >
        > This is more evidence that (1) Sinaiticus preceeds
        > Vaticanus, and (2) that Sinaiticus is the exemplar for
        > Vaticanus.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Mark Thunderson

        > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
        surfing.
        > http://new.toolbar.yahoo.com/toolbar/features/mail/index.php

      • Mark Thunderson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 12, 2007
          Dear Tim:

          Thank you for your thoughtful reply. With respect to
          the variant at Matthew 20:31, which I posted at

          http://www.geocities.com/good.seed/AlephandVaticanus.html

          I agree that there is confusion at this point in BOTH
          manuscripts, I disagree, however, over the nature of
          the confusion. For instance, in Vaticanus the
          confusion arises at the moment of writing the
          manuscript, while in Sinaiticus the confusion arises
          at a later time. We can see this plainly by the type
          of emendations made by the scribe. In Vaticanus the
          emendation is made by the original scribe. At the
          moment of writing we see a hesitation by the scribe,
          followed by the erasure of the last letter which he
          wrote. In Sinaiticus this is no so. In Sinaiticus
          the scribe finishes the line without any hesitation.
          Its only later in the manuscript's history that the
          text is subsequently emended. Still more, the
          "confusion" which we see arising in both manuscripts
          (Vaticanus at the time of publication and Sinaiticus
          at a later point in history) is due to the *nature* of
          what the original scribe of Sinaiticus wrote. In
          other words, it was the unreadability of the text, the
          inability of the see anything, i.e., any meaning, in
          the "YeY" construction that forced a rewrite in
          Vaticanus. But that this is NOT THE CASE with
          Sinaiticus is easily discerned. In others, logic and
          sound reasoning suggests that with this type of
          variant the latter (Vaticanus) follows the former
          (Sinaiticus). Once again, if we look carefully at the
          text we are able to this truth.

          While it is true that Sinaiticus and Vaticanus have
          textual variation is many places, it certainly is not
          unreasonable to assume that the scribes of Vaticanus
          had more than one exemplar before them. And it is
          also reasonable to assume that the scribes of
          Vaticanus held one manuscript as their primary
          exemplar, i.e., Sinaiticus. This becomes more
          apparent when we read at length these two manuscripts.
          For instance, Sinaiticus again and again puts itself
          forward as indeed an exemplar. In other words, it has
          the character of a manuscript that was used for
          exactly this purpose. There are many features to the
          manuscript that suggest that its it reaches for and
          achieves the scribal benchmark of divine hieroglyph -
          in the truest sense of this word. However, Vaticanus
          has more the character of a working document, true
          enough, albeit one that took its place at the church
          lectionary, pulpit, or the like. In other words, it
          has more of an ecclesiastical character about it.
          No surprisingly, it is housed in the Vatican Library
          to this very day.

          Finally, I too agree with your statement that if a
          scribe altered the exemplar, this would warrant
          dismissal. However, this assumes many things. For
          example,

          1. That the scribes were actually in agreement
          concerning the authority of the exemplar(s) being
          used.

          2. That those responsible for the integrity of the
          manuscript also took into consideration the "human
          element" in the copying process. Surely, the scribes
          of ages past were no less wise than those of today.
          (Surely, their brains were the same size. Yes?)

          3. The last qualification to your statement is that
          theological disputes and convictions *did not* play a
          role in the transmission of a manuscript. We, of
          course, know that this is not the case. In other
          words, theological concerns weighed heavily upon the
          conscience of many in ages past. To be sure, recall
          the order of books in Vaticanus and the order of books
          in Sinaiticus. This is a profound theological
          statement that far surpasses any mark of the
          exemplar(s) used in the production process. But only
          if one clearly understands what is being said. Its
          too bad that few today really know what is being said.

          Sincerely,

          Mark Thunderson

          --- yennifmit <tfinney@...> wrote:

          > Dear Mark,
          >
          > While it is noteworthy that both Vaticanus and
          > Sinaiticus stumble at
          > the same place, I don't see this as evidence that
          > Vaticanus was copied
          > from Sinaiticus. Instead, I see evidence of
          > confusion in the
          > manuscript tradition and/or in the minds of the
          > respective scribes
          > over the correct inflection of UIOS, whether
          > nominative (UIOS),
          > vocative (UIE), or genitive (UIOU).
          >
          > The fact that two manuscripts have scribal
          > alterations at the same
          > place does not imply that one is the exemplar of the
          > other.
          >
          > There are a lot of textual variations between
          > Sinaiticus and
          > Vaticanus. To demonstrate that one is the exemplar
          > of the other, you
          > would have to collate their texts then explain why
          > the copy (Vaticanus
          > according to your hypothesis) differs so much from
          > the exemplar
          > (Sinaiticus, in your hypothesis). You would have to
          > demonstrate that
          > the sum total of observed differences is consistent
          > with an
          > exemplar/copy pair.
          >
          > It seems to me that the texts are too disparate to
          > support your
          > hypothesis. (Vaticanus, like Sinaiticus, would have
          > been a major
          > undertaking from an economic perspective. If I had
          > been in charge of
          > the production, I would have reassigned any scribe
          > who kept making
          > changes to the text of the exemplar.)
          >
          > Best
          >
          > Tim Finney

          Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
        • Mark Thunderson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 15, 2007
            Dear Jovial:

            I can understand how one might come to a conclusion
            such as your own, given the number of publications
            that support your conclusion. But the best approach
            is to assess the data on your own. Here is another
            example which I supports that Vaticanus was copied
            directly from SInaiticus:

            http://www.geocities.com/good.seed/index.html

            Please examine the page thoroughly. If this example
            doesn't work, then I can provide another.

            It seems to me, that when the text-critical guild says
            "Vaticanus was not copied directly from Sinaiticus"
            its for reasons outside of textual criticism.

            Sincerely,

            Mark Thunderson.

            --- Jovial <jovial@...> wrote:

            > I would agree that to conclude that Vaticanus was
            > copied directly from
            > Sinaiticus is over-reaching. I think they probably
            > had a common origin, but
            > they vary too much for one to have come directly
            > from the other. The world
            > probably no longer has the text that is their common
            > ancestor, but it sure
            > would help fit a lot of the puzzle pieces together
            > if we did!
            >
            > Joe

          • Daniel Buck
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 15, 2007
              "A. Dirkzwager" wrote:
              >> Dear Daniel,
              Concerning the difference Moses/Manasseh an interesting note can be
              found in E. Tov, Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible,
              Minneapolis-Assen 1992², p. 57.<<

              In my eagerness and not having ready access to a university Library, I
              ordered a copy of Tov. To my great disappointment, page 57 said nothing
              I hadn't already read 2 or 3 different places online, and did not
              specifically address any of the questions I raised here.

              I hope I can return it.

              Daniel
            • Arie Dirkzwager
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 16, 2007