RE: I Timothy 1:10

  • Frank A. Doonan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2004
      "For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for
      menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any
      other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine."

      I am new to a new forum. I am uncertain if this question is relavent
      to this forum, but if anyone would lend a hand it would be
      appreciated.

      Most translations of the Bible translate andrapodistes (sp)as
      menstealer and kidnapper, but a few later user friendly(rated G)
      translations use slave trader like NIV. NAB and NASB both use
      kidnapper.

      My understanding of this term was in reference to one who steals or
      kidnaps slaves or possibly citizens. Slave ownership and trading was
      a very legitamite business and very much a part of the Greek, Roman
      and Hebrew world of the time.

      I understood that this reference was in accordance with the Hebrew
      law against the stealing of slaves and kidnapping punishable by
      death in Exodus 21:16.

      I would like some help from the Greek Geeks out there for the
      correct translation.
      _________________
      Go with the flow the river knows

      Frank

      Turn weapons into peace and friendship with gifts of jade-silk
      Message 2 of 4 , May 25, 2004
        ANDRAPODISTAIS:
        > I would like some help from the Greek Geeks out there for the
        > correct translation.

        The question might be better suited for the bgreek list, but here is
        what BDAG writes on the word:
        ------------
        one who acquires pers. for use by others, slave-dealer, kidnapper 1 Ti
        1:10 (here perh. w. the mng. 'procurer.' Vulg. plagiarius; s. New Docs
        1, 50).
        ------------
        The reference New Docs means: "New Documents Illustrating Early
        Christianity", ed. GHorsley, vols. 1-5 1980/81-89;

        BTW, "keep good relations with the Grecians." (G. W. Bush)
        :-)

        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      • Frank Doonan
        Message 3 of 4 , May 26, 2004
          Does anyone know of a good site that deals with Biblical Greek?

          Frank

          ANDRAPODISTAIS:

          what BDAG writes on the word:
          ------------
          one who acquires pers. for use by others, slave-dealer, kidnapper 1 Ti
          1:10 (here perh. w. the mng. 'procurer.' Vulg. plagiarius; s. New Docs
          1, 50).
          ------------
          The reference New Docs means: "New Documents Illustrating Early
          Christianity", ed. GHorsley, vols. 1-5 1980/81-89;

          BTW, "keep good relations with the Grecians." (G. W. Bush)
          :-)

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de

          Do you Yahoo!?

          Message 4 of 4 , May 26, 2004
            > Does anyone know of a good site that deals with Biblical Greek?

            The place to go with questions like the one below is the Bgreek mailing
            list. Have a look at:
            http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/index.html

            Some more links are listed on the following page:
            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/bibel.html#learn

            mailto:willker@...-bremen.de