Re: [textualcriticism] font, subscripted iota

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
      How bout Romans 8:7, right off the top of my head, as one of hundreds of
      examples in the NT of the iota subscript.

      τω γαρ νομω

      You'll have to check your printed edition as this example has no iota
      subscript (though it should) in both tw and nomw

      --
      Jim West, ThD

    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
        Do you mean thus?

        διότι τὸ φρόνημα τῆς σαρκὸς ἔχθρα εἰς θεόν, τῷ γὰρ νόμῳ τοῦ θεοῦ οὐχ ὑποτάσσεται, οὐδὲ γὰρ δύναται· 8 οἱ δὲ ἐν σαρκὶ ὄντες θεῷ ἀρέσαι οὐ δύνανται.

        Aland, B., Aland, K., Black, M., Martini, C. M., Metzger, B. M., & Wikgren, A. (1993, c1979). The Greek New Testament (4th ed.) (422). Federal Republic of Germany: United Bible Societies.

        It may simply be the font Robert is using.  There are a number of fonts which do allow such a subscript.

        george
        gfsomsel

        defend the truth till death.

        - Jan Hus
        _________

        --
        Jim West, ThD

        http://drjewest. googlepages. com/ -- Biblical Studies Resources
        http://drjimwest. wordpress. com -- Weblog

      • David Robert Palmer
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007

          Robert,

          I type dozens or more iota subscripts per day.  It is very easy to do with the software utility called Tavultesoft Keyman 6.0.  Provided that you have an operating system and Word Processor capable of Unicode and polytonic Greek.  Once you have Keyman installed, you download SIL's Greek keyboard and install that into Keyman.  Then in Word you just turn on Keyman.  And type "shift =" after you type the vowel.  I can type polytonic Greek right into this email application, τῷ  (Windows Mail, the Vista replacement for Outlook Express)

          Keyman automatically detects whether the window you have on top is Unicode-capable.  For example, it will turn itself off when you bring a  Notepad window to the front, but back on when Word is in front.  With Keyman I can even type polytonic Greek into search dialogue boxes, or into file names.  If you look in the folders on my hard drive, there are file names in fully polytonic Greek.

          SIL also has older keyboards for their legacy Greek font, SIL Galatia, both for PC and Macintosh.  But Unicode is the way to go.  Then the end user can take their pick from any number of polytonic Greek fonts to display what you typed, because all Unicode Greek fonts use the same code for each glyph.

          I downloaded Keyman when it was still free.  The latest versions from Keyman now cost.  But you might find downloads of the older free versions.  Start here http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Keyman#b2205b9b

          I really like Microsoft's new operating system, Windows Vista.  Both Unicode and ClearType font smoothing are built in and automatic.  You can type polytonic Greek into any part of it.  The Microsoft basic font, Times New Roman, now has fully polytonic Greek in Vista and Word 2007, which I use.  Microsoft's Office 2007 Suite for Students and non-commercial use is now not that expensive, under $200 US.  Word 2007 is so much better, it is well worth it.  For example, the "Save As" dialogue box now includes "Save as PDF."  This works very well, and now I use it all the time.

          I have not connection to, nor receive any remuneration from Microsoft Corp.  :)

          Δανιδ Ῥοβερτ Παλμερ   ὀοψ