Re: [textualcriticism] A forgotten manuscript?

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2007
      At 09:25 PM 5/31/2007 +0000, Arie Dirkzwager wrote:
      >The author describes an unknown manuscript of the NT. It was brought
      >to Britain by Henry Stobart in the 50's of the 19th century. Joseph
      >Mayer of Liverpool bought it together with a collection of other
      >papyri. It was discovered by Constantine Simonides. Unfortunately this
      >man was accused for a theft of manuscripts and some people said that
      >he made forgeries too. Therefore the manuscript of the NT was not
      >accepted by editors of the Greek NT.
      >Mulder had a positive opinion about it.
      >
      >Does anyone know of this manuscript?
      >Or does anyone know the scientific report, by which it was rejected?

      According to J. A. Farrer, LITERARY FORGERIES (London: Longmans,
      1907), p. 55, it was condemned as a forgery in 1863 by a commitee
      of the Royal Society of Literature. Though Farrer suggested that
      the matter be re-examined (p. 57), I'm not aware of anyone having
      done so.

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
    • Peter M. Head
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
        This manuscript was published:
        Simonides, Constantine. Facsimiles of Certain
        Portions of the Gospel of St. Matthew, and of the
        Epistles of Ss. James & Jude, Written on Papyrus
        in the First Century, and Preserved in the
        Egyptian Museum of Joseph Mayer, E. London: Trübner and Co, 1861.

        We have rather a nice copy here in the Tyndale Library.

        There is no doubt that it is a fake.

        Keith Elliott wrote a book on Simonides which will probably have more details.

        Peter

        At 22:25 31/05/2007, you wrote:
        >In the Dutch newspaper Trouw/Kwartet of August 24, 1974 I read an
        >article "Hoe heette de vrouw van Pilatus?" by Professor H. Mulder of
        >the Protestant Theological Faculty of Brussels.
        >The author describes an unknown manuscript of the NT. It was brought
        >to Britain by Henry Stobart in the 50's of the 19th century. Joseph
        >Mayer of Liverpool bought it together with a collection of other
        >papyri. It was discovered by Constantine Simonides. Unfortunately this
        >man was accused for a theft of manuscripts and some people said that
        >he made forgeries too. Therefore the manuscript of the NT was not
        >accepted by editors of the Greek NT.
        >Mulder had a positive opinion about it.
        >
        >Does anyone know of this manuscript?
        >Or does anyone know the scientific report, by which it was rejected?
        >
        >It seems that it should date from the first century. It contains some
        >fragments of the gospel of Matthew. The titel "Hoe heette de vrouw van
        >Pilatus?" points to the fact that in the fragment of Matthew 27
        >Pilate's wife is called Pempele.
        >
        >Arie
        >
        >A. Dirkzwager
        >Hoeselt Belgium