A forgotten manuscript?

  • Arie Dirkzwager
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31 2:25 PM
      In the Dutch newspaper Trouw/Kwartet of August 24, 1974 I read an
      article "Hoe heette de vrouw van Pilatus?" by Professor H. Mulder of
      the Protestant Theological Faculty of Brussels.
      The author describes an unknown manuscript of the NT. It was brought
      to Britain by Henry Stobart in the 50's of the 19th century. Joseph
      Mayer of Liverpool bought it together with a collection of other
      papyri. It was discovered by Constantine Simonides. Unfortunately this
      man was accused for a theft of manuscripts and some people said that
      he made forgeries too. Therefore the manuscript of the NT was not
      accepted by editors of the Greek NT.
      Mulder had a positive opinion about it.

      Does anyone know of this manuscript?
      Or does anyone know the scientific report, by which it was rejected?

      It seems that it should date from the first century. It contains some
      fragments of the gospel of Matthew. The titel "Hoe heette de vrouw van
      Pilatus?" points to the fact that in the fragment of Matthew 27
      Pilate's wife is called Pempele.

      Arie

      A. Dirkzwager
      Hoeselt Belgium
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31 9:06 PM
        At 09:25 PM 5/31/2007 +0000, Arie Dirkzwager wrote:
        >The author describes an unknown manuscript of the NT. It was brought
        >to Britain by Henry Stobart in the 50's of the 19th century. Joseph
        >Mayer of Liverpool bought it together with a collection of other
        >papyri. It was discovered by Constantine Simonides. Unfortunately this
        >man was accused for a theft of manuscripts and some people said that
        >he made forgeries too. Therefore the manuscript of the NT was not
        >accepted by editors of the Greek NT.
        >Mulder had a positive opinion about it.
        >
        >Does anyone know of this manuscript?
        >Or does anyone know the scientific report, by which it was rejected?

        According to J. A. Farrer, LITERARY FORGERIES (London: Longmans,
        1907), p. 55, it was condemned as a forgery in 1863 by a commitee
        of the Royal Society of Literature. Though Farrer suggested that
        the matter be re-examined (p. 57), I'm not aware of anyone having
        done so.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
      • Peter M. Head
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
          This manuscript was published:
          Simonides, Constantine. Facsimiles of Certain
          Portions of the Gospel of St. Matthew, and of the
          Epistles of Ss. James & Jude, Written on Papyrus
          in the First Century, and Preserved in the
          Egyptian Museum of Joseph Mayer, E. London: Trübner and Co, 1861.

          We have rather a nice copy here in the Tyndale Library.

          There is no doubt that it is a fake.

          Keith Elliott wrote a book on Simonides which will probably have more details.

          Peter

          At 22:25 31/05/2007, you wrote:
          >In the Dutch newspaper Trouw/Kwartet of August 24, 1974 I read an
          >article "Hoe heette de vrouw van Pilatus?" by Professor H. Mulder of
          >the Protestant Theological Faculty of Brussels.
          >The author describes an unknown manuscript of the NT. It was brought
          >to Britain by Henry Stobart in the 50's of the 19th century. Joseph
          >Mayer of Liverpool bought it together with a collection of other
          >papyri. It was discovered by Constantine Simonides. Unfortunately this
          >man was accused for a theft of manuscripts and some people said that
          >he made forgeries too. Therefore the manuscript of the NT was not
          >accepted by editors of the Greek NT.
          >Mulder had a positive opinion about it.
          >
          >Does anyone know of this manuscript?
          >Or does anyone know the scientific report, by which it was rejected?
          >
          >It seems that it should date from the first century. It contains some
          >fragments of the gospel of Matthew. The titel "Hoe heette de vrouw van
          >Pilatus?" points to the fact that in the fragment of Matthew 27
          >Pilate's wife is called Pempele.
          >
          >Arie
          >
          >A. Dirkzwager
          >Hoeselt Belgium