Dating of p46

  • Arie Dirkzwager
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2007
      On http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/egweimi/p46.htm we can read an article
      "Palaeographical Dating of p46 to the Later First Century" by Young
      Kyu Kim.
      Does anyone possess an opinion about it?
      Or does anyone know about positive or negative comments?

      Arie

      A. Dirkzwager
      Hoeselt Belgium
    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2007

        Young Kyu Kim proposed a date in the reign of Domitian (a.d. 81–96) based on six criteria:
        1.     All literary papyri similar to the exact style of P46 have been assigned dates between the first century b.c. and the early second century a.d. His primary examples are P. Oxy. 1790, P. Oxy. 2337, P. Oxy. 3695, P. Mil. Vogl. 1181, P. Mich. 6789, P. Alex. 443, P. Med. 70.01 verso, and P. Rylands III 550. His secondary examples are P. Mon. Gr. 216, P. Berol. 6926/P. Gen. 100, P. Gr. Berol. 19c, P. Gr. Berol. 29b, P. Oxy. 8, P. Hamb. III 193, and P. Oxy. 3721.
        2.     Comparable documentary papyri are dated early: P. Oxy. 211, 270, 318, 320, and 3051.
        3.     The handwriting of P46 is an upright, informal uncial of the early type. It is a bookhand, manifesting at times a running hand, giving way here and there to ligatures, while still trying to keep the upper line. Such a style is very rare after the first century.
        4.     The finals at the feet of the letters are seen in other manuscripts dated from the last quarter of the third century b.c. to the third quarter of the first century a.d.
        5.     The εγ-form (before compounds with β, δ, and λ) is very early, as compared with the εκ-form.
        6.     The hand of a certain corrector (no. 11, writing και) appears in manuscripts from the second century b.c. to the early second century a.d.
        My observation is that most of the manuscripts from the first century that Kim sees as displaying a hand comparable to P46 show some similarities in individual letters but not in overall appearance and therefore do not belong to the same time period as P46. Kim himself admits that several of these manuscripts display an early form of what we see later in P46, especially with respect to the serifs at the bottom and tops of letters.

        Comfort, P. W., & Barrett, D. P. (2001). The text of the earliest New Testament Greek manuscripts (A corrected, enlarged ed. of The complete text of the earliest New Testament manuscripts) (204). Wheaton, Ill.: Tyndale House.

        george
        gfsomsel

        defend the truth till death.

        - Jan Hus
        _________

        "Palaeographical Dating of p46 to the Later First Century" by Young
        Kyu Kim.
        Does anyone possess an opinion about it?
        Or does anyone know about positive or negative comments?

        Arie

        A. Dirkzwager
        Hoeselt Belgium

        Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      • Peter M. Head
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
          S.R. Pickering, 'The Dating of the Chester Beatty-Michigan Codex of
          the Pauline Epistles (P46)' Ancient History in a Modern University
          (FS E.A. Judge; eds T.W. Hillard et al.; Grand Rapids: Eerdmans,
          1998); vol. 2, pp. 216-27

          At 19:42 31/05/2007, you wrote:
          >On http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/egweimi/p46.htm we can read an article
          >"Palaeographical Dating of p46 to the Later First Century" by Young
          >Kyu Kim.
          >Does anyone possess an opinion about it?
          >Or does anyone know about positive or negative comments?
          >
          >Arie
          >
          >A. Dirkzwager
          >Hoeselt Belgium
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Peter M. Head, PhD
          Tyndale House
          36 Selwyn Gardens
          Cambridge CB3 9BA
          01223 566601
        • mydogregae01
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2007
            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Arie Dirkzwager"
            <dirkzwager@...> wrote:

            > On http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/egweimi/p46.htm we can read an article
            > "Palaeographical Dating of p46 to the Later First Century" by Young
            > Kyu Kim.
            > Does anyone possess an opinion about it?
            > Or does anyone know about positive or negative comments?
            Mr. Dykes assists:

            Dr. Bruce Griffin also answered Kim at the 1996 SBL meeting, I have
            his paper available at my site:

            The Paleographical Dating of P46

            a pdf file located here on this page at the link below: (free to download)

            http://www.biblical-data.org/textual.htm

            sincerely,
            Mr. Gary S. Dykes
            www.biblical-data.org