New Uncial MS

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2004
      Dan Wallace has discovered a new, early uncial MS in Istanbul:

      "I am happy to report that we discovered two uncial manuscripts while
      there! One was a single leaf from St. Basil, making it the first known
      manuscript in Istanbul written with uncial letters.
      But far more important than that was our greatest discovery (which we
      finally got permission to tell folks about): two leaves, in the back of
      a non-biblical medieval service book, had been scraped over and reused.
      The under-text was uncial letters! Although it has been next to
      impossible to make out, we have determined that it is biblical: one leaf
      is from Mark 3 and one is from Mark 6. We have been able to identify
      every verse, but not every word yet, even with sophisticated hardware
      and software applications. Our tentative date is mid-third century to
      early-fourth century, making the Mark 3 leaf the earliest fragment of
      that chapter now in existence! We believe that other leaves of this
      biblical manuscript may have been cannibalized and reused in other
      documents at the monastery. And we have recently been granted permission
      to return to Istanbul next summer to photograph more manuscripts.
      P.S. For the latest information, please visit our website-www.csntm.org.
      Look for thousands of new images to be posted in the next few weeks."

      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/