Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Heb. 4:2 Textual Criticism

  • George F Somsel
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2007
      καὶ γάρ ἐσμεν εὐηγγελισμένοι καθάπερ κἀκεῖνοι· ἀλλʼ οὐκ ὠφέλησεν ὁ λόγος τῆς ἀκοῆς ἐκείνους μὴ συγκεκερασμένους τῇ πίστει τοῖς ἀκούσασιν.

      KAI GAR ESMEN EUHGGELISMENOI KAQAPER KAKEINOI; ALL' OUK WFELHSEN hO LOGOS THS AKOHS EKEINOUS MH SUGKEKERASMENOUS THi PISTEI TOIS AKOUSASIN

      Regardless of your inclination to understand AKOUW in this passage as "to carry the stronger sense of 'really listen', 'heed'", I think it is obvious that the author intends that the reader understand that they, in fact, did NOT really listen and heed since it OUK WFELHSEN "was of no benefit."  As regards the acc pl SUGKEKERASMENOUS, I don't see that it is "so difficult that it makes an intelligent and attentive reader stop cold and say, 'What??'"  It is in agreement with EKEINOUS who are thus said to have not been united with faith.  Perhaps the problem is that you are attempting to relate it to hO LOGOS ?

      george
      gfsomsel

      defend the truth till death.

      - Jan Hus