Re: "Symbols" in Codex Bezae

  • yennifmit
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2007
      Here are my guesses:

      The beta-like symbol may be a stylised ΑΡΧΗ, especially since it is
      right next to a recognisable one.

      The symbol above ΕΠΙΑΝ (ΕΠΙ ΑΝ?) may be a symbol to indicate that iota
      and pi should be transposed to give the more familiar ΕΙΠΑΝ. (Although
      if that is what it is, why isn't it above the pi and iota?)

      You did not mention Garthausen in the list of books consulted. It is
      invaluable for such things:

      Gardthausen, V. 1913. Griechische Palaeographie. Vol. 2. Die Schrift,
      Unterschriften und Chronologie im Alterum und im Byzantinischen
      Mittelalter. 2nd ed. Leipzig: Veit. Repr. 1978. Berlin: Nationales
      Druckhaus.

      Best

      Tim Finney