Re: Rennes-le-Chateau and Codex Bezae

  • Martin Edwards
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2004
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
      <willker@c...> wrote:

      > For fun I was surfing the net a bit to read the fascinating accounts on
      > the Rennes-le-Chateau hoax (definitely worth reading for those
      > interested in mystery stories). You know it probably from the Da-Vinci
      > Code.
      > In doing this I came across one of the allegedly found MSS and it reads
      > in Latin Lk 6:1-4.
      > http://www.rennes-discovery.com/manuscript1.htm
      >
      > The conspiratists made A LOT out of the differences of the actual text
      > and the Vulgate:
      > http://www.rennes-discovery.com/PARCH1.HTM
      >
      > Curious as I am I looked it up and found it to be the text of Codex
      > Bezae!!!
      >
      > Is this news?
      >
      > Best wishes
      > Wieland
      > <><

      A more pertinent question is, why was the Vulgate necessary when there
      were already plenty of Latin texts about?

      Mart.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2004
        Martin Edwards wrote:
        >> Curious as I am I looked it up and found it to be
        >> the text of Codex Bezae!!!
        >
        > A more pertinent question is, why was the Vulgate
        > necessary when there were already plenty of Latin
        > texts about?

        The point I wanted to make is that Pierre Plantard and/or Philippe de
        Cherissey who probably have forged the MS, used the text of Codex Bezae
        for their forgery and not the text of the Vulgate. To my knowledge this
        has nobody discovered as yet.
        Up to know the conspiratists thought the differences have a special
        meaning and made up many theories.

        The question that remains is, why did Plantard use the text of Codex D?
        Perhaps because it has some French history?

        ------------------------
        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/
      • archeboc
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2004
          <willker@c...> wrote:

          > The question that remains is, why did Plantard use the text
          > of Codex D?
          > Perhaps because it has some French history?

          Not Plantard, but, as you said, Philippe de Chérisey.

          Codex D as the basis of Ms 1 : I never heard anything about that.
          It looks new !

          If you want, I may check on the book of Jean-Luc Chaumeil.

          References in french :
          http://www.rennes-le-chateau.org/rlctoday/int-jlchaumeil.htm
          http://www.nouvelobs.com/articles/p2079/a248944.html

          a+
          manu
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 2004
            Emmanuel Fritsch wrote:
            > Codex D as the basis of Ms 1 : I never heard
            > anything about that.
            > It looks new !
            >
            > If you want, I may check on the book of Jean-Luc
            > Chaumeil.

            Yes, please.
            Do you know where I could get a better image of that parchment? I don't
            have any books on that topic. The images found on the web are rather
            bad. Of the two I have found (see my webpage) I am not sure if they both
            show the same object.
            I have been told that a certain Pierre Jarnac is probably the most
            knowledgeable person on this subject, but I don't know how to contact
            him.