Re: Book of Revelation & Folio 129a of Sinaiticus

  • bob823y
    Message 1 of 22 , May 5, 2007
      interesting thread.

      Until now i thought the meanings of the word was witness. And that the
      word martyr, in the sens of a person dying, was the greek word for
      witness that received an extended meaning because of the martyrdom
      always ending in the dead ot the witness. Is it not right ?

      How do you explain arabic in this codex ? is it the sole occurence ?

      One things that comes to me is that it can be a passage from an arabic
      text that the reader write here in order to remember the parallel. Is
      that possible ?
    • Jean G. Valentin
      Message 2 of 22 , May 7, 2007
        Dear all,

        The right and center columns are quite tougher than the left one! Missing
        many diacritical marks and some words are nearly erased...
        It seems that I'm not the only one on the list to know some Arabic, so if we
        all put our efforts together perhaps we will succeed.

        here's what I can understand for the time being:

        Center:
        Then will be tranquillity and will abound
        the [...] and we(?) will ascend
        [....] and [....]them to the Lord
        and as a result of this will happen
        the [...] of [...]
        and the signs of the end.

        Right:
        Then will appear the star of the Aghârîsûn (greek word?)
        like the burning from the sky which
        was named Afsintos
        [...] Afsintîn clapping into the waters
        and [... ... ...]
        the waters

        As to the Daniel Buck's remark about "martyrs" instead of "witnesses", no
        objection. I'll add that the verb "have been made notorious" is derived from
        the same root (sh-h-d).

        Just curious to see more words deciphered!
        Greetings,
        Jean V.

        --
        Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
        jgvalentin@...

        "Le rite est l'écorce de la sincérité et de la fidélité,
        Mais aussi la source du désordre"

        (Lao Tzeu, Tao-te-king 38)

      • Daniel Buck
        Message 3 of 22 , May 8, 2007
          "Jean G. Valentin" <jgvalentin@...> wrote:
          >> As to the Daniel Buck's remark about "martyrs" instead
          of "witnesses", no objection. I'll add that the verb "have been made
          notorious" is derived from the same root (sh-h-d).>>

          I'm operating in the dark here, not having Sinaiticus before me. But I
          do have Cowan's Fourth Edition, and I don't see this "notorious"
          meaning under sh-h-d. If it's in the fourth measure, 'ushida' in the
          passive means "to die as a martyr." In the tenth measure, 'ustushida'
          in the passive has the same meaning, with the implication of "dying in
          jihad."

          So my revision to this point would be:
          "And by the end of the seventh millenium [1500 CE], will be achieved
          the oppression and the murder and the sadness of the martyrs who have
          been slain in the name of the [Lord] Messiah, and have been
          distinguished in [grace] in the [Kingdom]"

          I would date this bit of millennial commentary after the millennium was
          to commence circa 500 CE. Without any signs of the vaunted millennium
          having started, eschatologists were now focusing on its eventual end.
          Directly implied is that the blood of the martyrs is already starting
          to accumulate at the altar (Rev. 6:9). That, and the fact that it is
          written in Arabic, would probably push the date up into the Muslim
          period.

          Daniel
        • Mark Thunderson
          Message 4 of 22 , May 9, 2007
            Dear List:

            The notes here are definitly instriguing to say the
            least. The questions leaping to my mind are the
            following:

            1. What would be the motive(s) for writing these
            notes, and why in Arabic?

            2. Closelyas sociated with the above questions, Why
            these notes at Revelation 7:12 -8:12?

            3. What date might we assign this editorial note?
            Daniel Buck has suggested the Muslim period - perhaps
            7th century?

            4. What connection is there between the Manuscript
            history of Sinaiticus and these Arabic notes? For
            example, Kirssop Lake outlines two possible histories:
            one originating in Ceasarea, the other Alexandria.
            Still more, What connection is there between Saint
            Catherines Montastery and these Arabic notes? For
            example, the presence of the Fatimid Mosque within the
            Monastery as well as the Letter from Mohammad
            promising protection, suggests a close link between
            Mohammad and the Monastery that housed this great
            manuscript. One might even ponder if Mohammad himself
            is the author of these editorial notes???

            5. This lines of questioning finally leads to the
            question: Is there any connection between the
            editorial notes and the Quran and/or Sunnah? In other
            words, does the content of the Arabic note have a
            parallel in the Quran and/or Sunnah?

            Any help from the list, would be greatly appreciated.

            Mark Thunderson.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jean G. Valentin
            Message 5 of 22 , May 9, 2007
              I'll quickly make a few points and come back later:

              1. Why in Arabic? Simply because many christians in the middle east were
              speaking and writing in that language. The first versions of the Gospels in
              Arabic date from around the IXth century if my memory serves me well. It was
              simply the language of all people there, not only muslims. Don't associate
              too quickly the Arabic language to islam, there have always been Arabic
              Christians. And if you live in Europe or in America, there's surely a
              melkite catholic (http://www.mliles.com/melkite/) or an antiochian orthodox
              parish not far from your home, where divine liturgy is celebrated in Arabic.

              2. Judging from the handwriting, the notes are not earlier than the XIIIth
              century. Just my two cents of course!

              3. Connection of Sinai with Arabic: just see my first paragraph. If you look
              a the list of manuscripts of the library at St Catherine's, you'll find
              scores of biblical, patristic and liturgical texts in Arabic because it was
              the language of everyday life. Of course there's an evolution and it differs
              according to time and place, but most of the eastern churches were
              completely arabized by the XIIIth century (the Antiochian-Malkite church
              still undivided had translated all of the Byzantine liturgical books by the
              XIth century). Greek remained as a hieratic language, and Syriac resisted
              better, specially in the mountains of Lebanon (till the XVIIth century?) and
              Northern Mesopotamia where it is still alive today in a modern dialectal
              form - not to forget a few villages north of Damascus in the mountains of
              Antilibanonn, among which Maalula.

              4. So to me there's nothing curious about notes in Arabic inside a Greek
              codex of the Sinai convent. In my opinion there's no point in trying to find
              islamic influences: the annotator was certainly an orthodox monk whose
              mother tongue was Arabic.

              5. For more on Arabic in the Church, there's a chapter in Metzger "Versions"
              and you can find my examination of the Arabic Gospel manuscripts in Le
              Muséon of 2003. There's plenty of footnotes in both if you need more
              sources.

              I'll come back later.
              Jean V.

              --

            • Daniel Buck
              Message 6 of 22 , May 10, 2007
                <<One might even ponder if Mohammad himself is the author of these
                editorial notes???>>

                Virtually impossible, as he was most probably illiterate.

                As Jean has pointed out, Arabic was the language of the Christians
                living in the general area around Sinai; but not until well into the
                Muslim period, as I pointed out. The Arabic language spread rather
                rapidly with the Muslim religion from the Arabian Peninsula to the
                far corners of Northern Africa & Western Asia within a century or two
                of Muhammad's revelation.

                Here are some historical considerations that may help in dating the
                marginalia to the 12th-13th centuries:

                1. The Crusader States (12th-13th cent.)imposed Catholicism in
                Caesarea; Sinai remained under the Fatimid Caliphate. This would have
                limited interaction with churches outside the Arabic-speaking area.

                2. Battles in the Mediterranean and its seaports could have severely
                disrupted traffic between the Greek-speaking areas of Christendom and
                the parts of the Middle East still under the Caliphate. This could
                have served to keep non-Arabic monks from being able to repopulate
                the monastery.

                3. Martyrdom, especially on the battlefield, was more likely in view
                of over a century of clashes between Muslims and Catholics, with
                Byzantines often caught in the middle.

                DB
              • Mark Thunderson
                Message 7 of 22 , May 10, 2007
                  Dear Jean:

                  First of all, thank you very much for taking the time
                  and effort to translate this Arabic note from
                  Sinaiticus. Your comments and expertise are well
                  taken. However, perhaps I can elucidate more on my
                  curiosity regarding this particular note.

                  1. That Arabic was common-place on the Sinai
                  Peninsula is true enough. However, my question
                  regarding the language of the note in Revelation
                  arises on account of the history of Codex Sinaiticus.
                  For instance, as far as I can recall, my understanding
                  is that Sinaiticus is ÒlostÓ to the common memory
                  somewhere around the 7th or 8th century AD.
                  Presumably, this would imply that it was either
                  intentionally hidden or simply forgotten about within
                  the Monastery library of Saint CatherineÕs. As you
                  can certainly deduce from this line of logic, this
                  would imply that the Arabic notes within Sinaiticus
                  would have to have been written prior to the 7th or
                  8th century.

                  2. Regarding your second comment, perhaps it is the
                  faded nature of the hand-writing or just poor style.
                  If the above be true or have plausibility then
                  regardless of style, it must be prior to the 13th
                  century AD (which is where you placed it). In other
                  words, as you can see, the issues surrounding the
                  hand-writing are not easily pinned down. My own
                  inclination would be to try to locate a time period
                  for the hand writing based upon content. For example,
                  the Arabic names of the stars which are mentioned.
                  Your own translation yielded the names ÒAghrosÓ and
                  ÒAfsintos.Ó However, another Arabic source which
                  translated the passage came up with ÒAÕarneyounÓ and
                  ÒAl-Sofleen.Ó Can you comment on this semantic flux
                  in the meaning of these stars? Moreover, the 7th
                  millenium does so far as I know have correspondance
                  with the Sunnah. Can you comment on this?

                  3. Once again, you mention the prominence of Arabic
                  among the Christian churches. This is true enough for
                  the later centuries. Yet, what about the early
                  centuries? In particular we are back to the elusive
                  history of this particular ancient manuscript, which
                  pre-dates Islam and Mohammad. Moreover, itÕs the
                  location of the manuscript that is of particular
                  interest. For instance, Saint CatherineÕs has a
                  peculiar history about it. As I mentioned previously,
                  it houses the Fatimid Mosque within the Monastery
                  walls, as well as the Letter from Mohammad promising
                  protection. WouldnÕt you agree this is rather
                  unusual? In other words, there is an unmistakable
                  Islamic footprint upon this particular monastery,
                  unlike many others. Hence, it does seem worthwhile
                  pursuing this line of questioning until it is
                  complete.

                  Sincerely,

                  Mark Thunderson.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com