Re: Book of Revelation & Folio 129a of Sinaiticus

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 22 , May 4 11:51 AM
      "Jean G. Valentin" <jgvalentin@...> wrote:
      << Mark,
      I think I have deciphered the left column in Arabic.
      It sounds like this:
      "And by the end of the seventh millenium,
      will be achieved the oppression and the murder
      and the sadness of the witnesses who
      on the name of the [Lord] Messiah have been made notorious . . .>>

      Jean, I would definitely translate shuhada' (if that is the word)
      as "martyrs," not "witnesses."

      We have the two different words; Greek and Arabic have just the one.

      DB
    • williampenawells@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , May 5 1:39 PM
        but the question still is, who put it there?

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • bob823y
        Message 3 of 22 , May 5 4:10 PM
          interesting thread.

          Until now i thought the meanings of the word was witness. And that the
          word martyr, in the sens of a person dying, was the greek word for
          witness that received an extended meaning because of the martyrdom
          always ending in the dead ot the witness. Is it not right ?

          How do you explain arabic in this codex ? is it the sole occurence ?

          One things that comes to me is that it can be a passage from an arabic
          text that the reader write here in order to remember the parallel. Is
          that possible ?
        • Jean G. Valentin
          Message 4 of 22 , May 7 12:30 PM
            Dear all,

            The right and center columns are quite tougher than the left one! Missing
            many diacritical marks and some words are nearly erased...
            It seems that I'm not the only one on the list to know some Arabic, so if we
            all put our efforts together perhaps we will succeed.

            here's what I can understand for the time being:

            Center:
            Then will be tranquillity and will abound
            the [...] and we(?) will ascend
            [....] and [....]them to the Lord
            and as a result of this will happen
            the [...] of [...]
            and the signs of the end.

            Right:
            Then will appear the star of the Aghârîsûn (greek word?)
            like the burning from the sky which
            was named Afsintos
            [...] Afsintîn clapping into the waters
            and [... ... ...]
            the waters

            As to the Daniel Buck's remark about "martyrs" instead of "witnesses", no
            objection. I'll add that the verb "have been made notorious" is derived from
            the same root (sh-h-d).

            Just curious to see more words deciphered!
            Greetings,
            Jean V.

            --
            Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
            jgvalentin@...

            "Le rite est l'écorce de la sincérité et de la fidélité,
            Mais aussi la source du désordre"

            (Lao Tzeu, Tao-te-king 38)

          • Daniel Buck
            Message 5 of 22 , May 8 12:00 PM
              "Jean G. Valentin" <jgvalentin@...> wrote:
              >> As to the Daniel Buck's remark about "martyrs" instead
              of "witnesses", no objection. I'll add that the verb "have been made
              notorious" is derived from the same root (sh-h-d).>>

              I'm operating in the dark here, not having Sinaiticus before me. But I
              do have Cowan's Fourth Edition, and I don't see this "notorious"
              meaning under sh-h-d. If it's in the fourth measure, 'ushida' in the
              passive means "to die as a martyr." In the tenth measure, 'ustushida'
              in the passive has the same meaning, with the implication of "dying in
              jihad."

              So my revision to this point would be:
              "And by the end of the seventh millenium [1500 CE], will be achieved
              the oppression and the murder and the sadness of the martyrs who have
              been slain in the name of the [Lord] Messiah, and have been
              distinguished in [grace] in the [Kingdom]"

              I would date this bit of millennial commentary after the millennium was
              to commence circa 500 CE. Without any signs of the vaunted millennium
              having started, eschatologists were now focusing on its eventual end.
              Directly implied is that the blood of the martyrs is already starting
              to accumulate at the altar (Rev. 6:9). That, and the fact that it is
              written in Arabic, would probably push the date up into the Muslim
              period.

              Daniel
            • Mark Thunderson
              Message 6 of 22 , May 9 4:40 AM
                Dear List:

                The notes here are definitly instriguing to say the
                least. The questions leaping to my mind are the
                following:

                1. What would be the motive(s) for writing these
                notes, and why in Arabic?

                2. Closelyas sociated with the above questions, Why
                these notes at Revelation 7:12 -8:12?

                3. What date might we assign this editorial note?
                Daniel Buck has suggested the Muslim period - perhaps
                7th century?

                4. What connection is there between the Manuscript
                history of Sinaiticus and these Arabic notes? For
                example, Kirssop Lake outlines two possible histories:
                one originating in Ceasarea, the other Alexandria.
                Still more, What connection is there between Saint
                Catherines Montastery and these Arabic notes? For
                example, the presence of the Fatimid Mosque within the
                Monastery as well as the Letter from Mohammad
                promising protection, suggests a close link between
                Mohammad and the Monastery that housed this great
                manuscript. One might even ponder if Mohammad himself
                is the author of these editorial notes???

                5. This lines of questioning finally leads to the
                question: Is there any connection between the
                editorial notes and the Quran and/or Sunnah? In other
                words, does the content of the Arabic note have a
                parallel in the Quran and/or Sunnah?

                Any help from the list, would be greatly appreciated.

                Mark Thunderson.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Jean G. Valentin
                Message 7 of 22 , May 9 10:13 AM
                  I'll quickly make a few points and come back later:

                  1. Why in Arabic? Simply because many christians in the middle east were
                  speaking and writing in that language. The first versions of the Gospels in
                  Arabic date from around the IXth century if my memory serves me well. It was
                  simply the language of all people there, not only muslims. Don't associate
                  too quickly the Arabic language to islam, there have always been Arabic
                  Christians. And if you live in Europe or in America, there's surely a
                  melkite catholic (http://www.mliles.com/melkite/) or an antiochian orthodox
                  parish not far from your home, where divine liturgy is celebrated in Arabic.

                  2. Judging from the handwriting, the notes are not earlier than the XIIIth
                  century. Just my two cents of course!

                  3. Connection of Sinai with Arabic: just see my first paragraph. If you look
                  a the list of manuscripts of the library at St Catherine's, you'll find
                  scores of biblical, patristic and liturgical texts in Arabic because it was
                  the language of everyday life. Of course there's an evolution and it differs
                  according to time and place, but most of the eastern churches were
                  completely arabized by the XIIIth century (the Antiochian-Malkite church
                  still undivided had translated all of the Byzantine liturgical books by the
                  XIth century). Greek remained as a hieratic language, and Syriac resisted
                  better, specially in the mountains of Lebanon (till the XVIIth century?) and
                  Northern Mesopotamia where it is still alive today in a modern dialectal
                  form - not to forget a few villages north of Damascus in the mountains of
                  Antilibanonn, among which Maalula.

                  4. So to me there's nothing curious about notes in Arabic inside a Greek
                  codex of the Sinai convent. In my opinion there's no point in trying to find
                  islamic influences: the annotator was certainly an orthodox monk whose
                  mother tongue was Arabic.

                  5. For more on Arabic in the Church, there's a chapter in Metzger "Versions"
                  and you can find my examination of the Arabic Gospel manuscripts in Le
                  Muséon of 2003. There's plenty of footnotes in both if you need more
                  sources.

                  I'll come back later.
                  Jean V.

                  --

                • Daniel Buck
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 10 8:24 AM
                    <<One might even ponder if Mohammad himself is the author of these
                    editorial notes???>>

                    Virtually impossible, as he was most probably illiterate.

                    As Jean has pointed out, Arabic was the language of the Christians
                    living in the general area around Sinai; but not until well into the
                    Muslim period, as I pointed out. The Arabic language spread rather
                    rapidly with the Muslim religion from the Arabian Peninsula to the
                    far corners of Northern Africa & Western Asia within a century or two
                    of Muhammad's revelation.

                    Here are some historical considerations that may help in dating the
                    marginalia to the 12th-13th centuries:

                    1. The Crusader States (12th-13th cent.)imposed Catholicism in
                    Caesarea; Sinai remained under the Fatimid Caliphate. This would have
                    limited interaction with churches outside the Arabic-speaking area.

                    2. Battles in the Mediterranean and its seaports could have severely
                    disrupted traffic between the Greek-speaking areas of Christendom and
                    the parts of the Middle East still under the Caliphate. This could
                    have served to keep non-Arabic monks from being able to repopulate
                    the monastery.

                    3. Martyrdom, especially on the battlefield, was more likely in view
                    of over a century of clashes between Muslims and Catholics, with
                    Byzantines often caught in the middle.

                    DB
                  • Mark Thunderson
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 10 5:36 PM
                      Dear Jean:

                      First of all, thank you very much for taking the time
                      and effort to translate this Arabic note from
                      Sinaiticus. Your comments and expertise are well
                      taken. However, perhaps I can elucidate more on my
                      curiosity regarding this particular note.

                      1. That Arabic was common-place on the Sinai
                      Peninsula is true enough. However, my question
                      regarding the language of the note in Revelation
                      arises on account of the history of Codex Sinaiticus.
                      For instance, as far as I can recall, my understanding
                      is that Sinaiticus is ÒlostÓ to the common memory
                      somewhere around the 7th or 8th century AD.
                      Presumably, this would imply that it was either
                      intentionally hidden or simply forgotten about within
                      the Monastery library of Saint CatherineÕs. As you
                      can certainly deduce from this line of logic, this
                      would imply that the Arabic notes within Sinaiticus
                      would have to have been written prior to the 7th or
                      8th century.

                      2. Regarding your second comment, perhaps it is the
                      faded nature of the hand-writing or just poor style.
                      If the above be true or have plausibility then
                      regardless of style, it must be prior to the 13th
                      century AD (which is where you placed it). In other
                      words, as you can see, the issues surrounding the
                      hand-writing are not easily pinned down. My own
                      inclination would be to try to locate a time period
                      for the hand writing based upon content. For example,
                      the Arabic names of the stars which are mentioned.
                      Your own translation yielded the names ÒAghrosÓ and
                      ÒAfsintos.Ó However, another Arabic source which
                      translated the passage came up with ÒAÕarneyounÓ and
                      ÒAl-Sofleen.Ó Can you comment on this semantic flux
                      in the meaning of these stars? Moreover, the 7th
                      millenium does so far as I know have correspondance
                      with the Sunnah. Can you comment on this?

                      3. Once again, you mention the prominence of Arabic
                      among the Christian churches. This is true enough for
                      the later centuries. Yet, what about the early
                      centuries? In particular we are back to the elusive
                      history of this particular ancient manuscript, which
                      pre-dates Islam and Mohammad. Moreover, itÕs the
                      location of the manuscript that is of particular
                      interest. For instance, Saint CatherineÕs has a
                      peculiar history about it. As I mentioned previously,
                      it houses the Fatimid Mosque within the Monastery
                      walls, as well as the Letter from Mohammad promising
                      protection. WouldnÕt you agree this is rather
                      unusual? In other words, there is an unmistakable
                      Islamic footprint upon this particular monastery,
                      unlike many others. Hence, it does seem worthwhile
                      pursuing this line of questioning until it is
                      complete.

                      Sincerely,

                      Mark Thunderson.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com