Re: [textualcriticism] Re: LXX and MT

  • Richard J. Saley
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
      A dramatic example of this may be found in the recent publication of the Dead
      Sea Scroll 4QSam-a. In those passages of Samuel where the Old Greek is extant
      (1 Sam 1:1--2 Sam 9:13) and the Old Greek and the MT do not agree, the Old
      Greek agrees with the text of 4QSam-a more than 2 out of every 3 instances. (A
      more complete breakdown of the statistics may be found in the article of Cross
      and Saley in the journal Dead Sea Discoveries 13:1 46-54.)

      Quoting Philip <philipengmann@...>:

      > I think that you are right. There probably were two different source texts
      > for the LXX and MT, i.e. the LXX Vorlage and the Proto-MT respectively. These
      > two source texts sometimes read differently for the same text.
      >
      > Philip Engmann
      >
      > honey5stars <honeytimes@...> wrote:
      > hi Jovial
      > you wrote
      > > 2. Somes the LXX was mistranslated.
      >
      > bt how one can be sure that this word was mistranslated or
      > translated from different source than the MT ?
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      Richard J. Saley, Ph.D.
      Lecturer on the Ancient Near East
      Dept. of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
      Harvard University
      Six Divinity Avenue
      Cambridge, MA 02138-2020 USA
      Tel: 617-495-4239