Re: LXX and MT

  • honey5stars
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2007

      hi Jovial

      you wrote

      > 2. Somes the LXX was mistranslated.

      bt how one can be sure that this word was mistranslated or

      translated from different source than the MT ?

    • Philip
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
        I think that you are right. There probably were two different source texts for the LXX and MT, i.e. the LXX Vorlage and the Proto-MT respectively. These two source texts sometimes read differently for the same text.

        Philip Engmann

        honey5stars <honeytimes@...> wrote:
        hi Jovial
        you wrote
        > 2. Somes the LXX was mistranslated.

        bt how one can be sure that this word was mistranslated or
        translated from different source than the MT ?

        Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      • Richard J. Saley
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
          A dramatic example of this may be found in the recent publication of the Dead
          Sea Scroll 4QSam-a. In those passages of Samuel where the Old Greek is extant
          (1 Sam 1:1--2 Sam 9:13) and the Old Greek and the MT do not agree, the Old
          Greek agrees with the text of 4QSam-a more than 2 out of every 3 instances. (A
          more complete breakdown of the statistics may be found in the article of Cross
          and Saley in the journal Dead Sea Discoveries 13:1 46-54.)

          Quoting Philip <philipengmann@...>:

          > I think that you are right. There probably were two different source texts
          > for the LXX and MT, i.e. the LXX Vorlage and the Proto-MT respectively. These
          > two source texts sometimes read differently for the same text.
          >
          > Philip Engmann
          >
          > honey5stars <honeytimes@...> wrote:
          > hi Jovial
          > you wrote
          > > 2. Somes the LXX was mistranslated.
          >
          > bt how one can be sure that this word was mistranslated or
          > translated from different source than the MT ?
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

          Richard J. Saley, Ph.D.
          Lecturer on the Ancient Near East
          Dept. of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
          Harvard University
          Six Divinity Avenue
          Cambridge, MA 02138-2020 USA
          Tel: 617-495-4239