Re: [textualcriticism] When did miniscule writing begin?

  • Jovial
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2007
      The reason I raised this question is because I was looking at the Greek
      writing on the ossuary at the "Lost Tomb of Jesus"
      (http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tomb/tomb.html) and when I noticed
      that it was written in miniscule type letters (or slightly pre-miniscule),
      that just didn't fit my normal thinking. I'm more used to looking at Greek
      manuscripts than anything else - I haven't really studied much of Greek
      culture. But after looking at some of the examples the last several days, I
      have to question whether the writing style matches the alleged time period.

      After examining some samples from different time periods I can see how the
      Uncial Greek letters sort of evolved over about 800-1000 years from sloppy
      uncials to taking on a different form to becoming miniscules. But I'd be
      interested in hearing any comments some of you might have on whether you
      think the handwriting fits the time period and whether there are any
      examples that come from the 1st century AD that fit the handwriting style of
      that ossuary well enough to consider it a fit for the time period.

      Thanks,

      Joe