[textualcriticism] S. Pfann on two hands in Talpiot ossuary Greek inscription

  • K.Martin Heide
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2007
      His analysis looks very convincing, and is much more probable
      than the known reading of Rahmani. Rahmani's reading had the disadvantage
      of introducing a special letter (a nun written backwards or mirrored),
      while Pfann's interpretation takes the most probable approach,
      may even explain the space between MARIAMH and his newly
      suggested KAI , explains the cursive form of the KAI from contemporaneous
      documents (I am not sure, but I AFAIK in later minuscules, cursive K's like that
      sometimes serve as abbreviations for KAI or similar words beginning with K) and, last not least, explains the different styles of writing in the first name and in the proposed second one.

      Martin

      goranson@... wrote:

      Stephen J. Pfann has posted a revised version of his paper, MARY MAGDALENE IS
      NOW MISSING: A CORRECTED READING OF RAHMANI OSSUARY 701 at:

      http://www.uhl. ac/MariameAndMar tha/

      He proposes a reading that distinguishes two hands. Any comments on his
      analysis?

      Thanks,

      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke. edu/~goranson