New Book: Other Early Christian Gospels

  • Andrew Bernhard
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2007
      Message
      Hello all,

      Apologies for reposting infomation here about my new book, _Other Early Christian Gospels: A Critical Edition of the Surviving Greek Manuscripts_. I initially posted information about the book last July, but many people may have been away during summer vacation and, additionally, the book had not yet been released in the US at that time. So I just wanted to briefly call it to the attention of the list, as I think it has particular significance for textual criticism. The full announcement is posted below.

      Thanks,
      Andrew

      Although it has been out for a few months now, I hope I may still make an e-list announcement about my new book _Other Early Christian Gospels: A Critical Edition of the Surviving Greek Manuscripts_. It is a part of the _Library of New Testament Studies_ series edited by Mark Goodacre and published by T & T Clark.

      The book is essentially a sourcebook for the study of early Christian gospels (other than Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) that have been preserved in Greek.  It contains new English translations, critical Greek texts, and what I call "Student's" Greek texts (i.e. the texts without any of the apparatus) of the following Greek manuscripts:

      The Gospel of Thomas
      --Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 654 (P.Oxy. 654)
      --Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 1 (P.Oxy. 1)
      --Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 655 (P.Oxy. 655)
      The Gospel of Peter
      --Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 4009 (P.Oxy. 4009)
      --The Akhmim Fragment (P.Cair. 10759)
      --Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 2949 (P.Oxy. 2949)
      Egerton Papyrus 2: The Unknown Gospel
      --Egerton Papyrus 2 (P.Egerton 2) with Cologne Papyrus 255 (P.Koeln
      255)
      Other Unidentified Gospel Fragments
      --The Faiyum Fragment (P.Vindob.G 2325)
      --Merton Papyrus 51 (P.Mert. 51)
      --Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 210 (P.Oxy. 210)
      --Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 1224 (P.Oxy. 1224)
      --Oxyrhynchus Parchment 840 (P.Oxy. 840)
      --Berlin Papyrus 11710 (P.Berol. 11710)

      In addition, the book contains exhaustive indexes for all the Greek texts and plates for all the Greek fragments of The Gospel of Thomas (P.Oxy. 654, P.Oxy. 1, P.Oxy. 655), The Gospel of Peter (P.Oxy. 4009, P.Cair. 10759, P.Oxy. 2949), The Unknown Gospel (PEgerton 2 + PKoeln 255), and previously unpublished photos of portions of P.Oxy. 210, P.Oxy. 1224, P.Oxy. 840, and P.Berol. 11710.

      This book was borne of out my own personal frustration. During my student days, I became quite exasperated with how difficult it was to obtain editions and translations of these very important gospel manuscripts. Stan Porter called for a new edition of early Christian gospel papyri back in 1995 (see, "The Greek Apocryphal Gospels
      Papyri: The Need for a Critical Edition) and so far as I am aware none has yet to be published for the English speaking world (Dieter Luehrmann's German book, Fragmente apokryph gewordener Evangelien in griechischer und lateinischer Sprache_ is of course very helpful, but extremely difficult to find and presents the texts in a very European format, i.e. just groups all noncanonical gospels together as "gospels that became Apocryphal").

      In any event, I am hopeful that _Other Early Christian Gospels_ will help make these manuscripts more easily accessible and promote careful study of the "lost" gospels.

      Best,
      Andrew