Re: [textualcriticism] Hebrew NT

  • malcolm robertson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 10, 2007
      Dear Joe,

      I think the verse in question is recorded by Epiphanius.  I do not have my references before me at present.  In addition this link provided by A. Criddle may be of further service in answering Ted's question(s).

      Because He lives,

      Malcolm
      ___________________

      Re: [textualcriticism] Hebrew NT

      Malcom,

      I have not heard of a fragmentary first verse in Hebrew.  What is the name of the manuscript in question?

      Ted,

      As far as Hebrew manuscripts of the NT, history tells us that two books were written in Hebrew; Matthew and Hebrews.  The manuscripts of DuTillet (for Matthew) and Munster (for both Matthew and Hebrews) have been proposed as possible candidates for having come from the original Hebrew Matthew.  The Shem Tov, mentioned by Schmuel, is probably pretty ignorable, and I'm convinced was translated from a Latin source text and is not related to the original Hebrew Matthew at all.

      Does anyone have any more info on the Russian manuscript????

      Thanks,

      Joe

      with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
    • Ted Clore
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2007
        Thank you for commenting on this, all.  What you have confirmed is that this is too vague and uncertain of an area for anyone to start making claims that the NT was written in Hebrew.  There is very little evidence, if any, that this was the case.  I especially appreciate the links provided as it will give me further reading.

        As is the case in many of these types of movements, there are many claims from the leaders that end in unsubstanciated claims that are offered as "proof".  The problem I see is that there is a tendency toward a "subjective theology" where there are efforts to glean information from various sources to give authority to the presuppositions of a particular leader or leaders.  This effort is eclectic in that it will hunt for any evidence that may be used to prop up these claims, even if it is vague and unsubstanciated, often from sources that are misread and used in a manner never intended.  I think this is the case here, someone has taken something speculative in nature (a Hebrew NT) and raised it to an sure doctrine.

        Blessings,
        Ted Clore
      • bob renard
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 13, 2007
          Salut,

          > Thank you for commenting on this, all. What you
          > have confirmed is that this is too vague and
          > uncertain of an area for anyone to start making
          > claims that the NT was written in Hebrew. There is
          > very little evidence, if any, that this was the
          > case. I especially appreciate the links provided as
          > it will give me further reading.

          It is sure quite sure that there was a gospel that was
          written in hebrew. He was in use by "jewish-christian"
          such as "ebionites" or "nazaréens". That gospel may is
          the primary source of the matthew gospel, or at least
          is a version of that one.

          Jérome says he saw a copy of it. I think Eusèbius too.

          You must take a look there:
          http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/apocrypha.html
          to the gospels of the hebrews, of the nazoreans,and of
          the ebionites.

          They are searchers that writes about this, i think of
          two at the moment: Robert Einsenman The Dead Sea
          Scrolls and the First Christians: Essays and
          Translations ; and in french "Le messie et son
          prophète", see in english here :
          http://www.lemessieetsonprophete.com/annexes/presentation-en.htm
          that talk about links between "jewish-christianity"
          and Islam.

          Are they links to the texts of XIVe and XVIe siècles
          you were all talking about ? I have heard about them,
          but never found.

          And links to a translation oh the aramean Matthew ?

          thank you

          En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Courriel vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non nollicités
          http://mail.yahoo.ca Yahoo! Courriel