Hebrew NT

  • Ted Clore
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2007
      First time post.

      I am Ted Clore (Tallen on the Net) a neophyte in the area of textual criticism, and have some questions.  Please bear with me.

      First off, I have some family that is in the Jewish Roots movement that claims there are some manuscripts found in a Russian monestary that were written in Hebrew.  Since I have never seen anything written on these particular manuscripts, it is said to be a recent find, does anyone know anything about these?

      I have heard of some "Slavonic Pseudepigrapha" that may have come from the Byzantine church at some point of time, that to me would suggest a Greek geneology of some type, but I don't know of any Hebrew NT.  Am I on the right track?

      Blessings,
      Ted
    • malcolm robertson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2007
        Dear Ted,

        As far as historical testimony there exist *only* the first verse of St. Matthew from a Hebrew Matthew.  It is a *translation* from the Greek canonical St. Matthew and is attributed to the heretical Jewish sectarians of the second century.

        There is a modern Hebrew NT which Franz Delitzsch (1813-1890) worked on for 40 years and was composed for missionary purposes.  It " ... 1877 erschien im Verlag der
        Britischen und Ausländischen Bibelgesellschaft in London seine Übersetzung des
        Neuen Testaments ins Hebräische, die Frucht fast 40jährigen Bemühens."

        http://www.kirjasilta.net/ha-berit/index.html

        http://dvar-adonai.org/

        For info on Franz Delitzsch see

        http://www.ccel.org/php/disp.php3?a=schaff&b=encyc03&p=397

        http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=223&letter=D

        http://www.bautz.de/bbkl/d/delitzsch_fra.shtml

        The Slavonic Peseudepigrapha Project

        Trebnik (The Book of Needs)

        As far as the two mss to which you refer perhaps someelse can help you there.

        Hope these help.

        Because He lives,

        Malcolm

        ____________________

        First time post.

        I am Ted Clore (Tallen on the Net) a neophyte in the area of textual criticism, and have some questions.  Please bear with me.

        First off, I have some family that is in the Jewish Roots movement that claims there are some manuscripts found in a Russian monestary that were written in Hebrew.  Since I have never seen anything written on these particular manuscripts, it is said to be a recent find, does anyone know anything about these?

        I have heard of some "Slavonic Pseudepigrapha" that may have come from the Byzantine church at some point of time, that to me would suggest a Greek geneology of some type, but I don't know of any Hebrew NT.  Am I on the right track?

        Blessings,
        Ted

      • Schmuel
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2007
          Hi Folks,

          Ted Clore -
          >in the Jewish Roots movement that claims there are some manuscripts found in a Russian monestary that were written in Hebrew. Since I have never seen anything written on these particular manuscripts, it is said to be a recent find, does anyone know anything about these?

          Hi Ted,

          This sounds a bit like it might be related to the sensationalizing of the ShemTob manuscripts that was done by Michael Rood and Nehemiah Gordon. Which was trumpeted for awhile as the "Dead Sea Scrolls New Testament". I vaguely remember some reference to Russian manuscripts and they sounded like simply some of the nine or so ShemTob manuscripts extant. (This was before printing, so there are some copyist variations.)

          However, as far as I know, nothing was ever made clear about what they were claiming outside the normal ShemTob situation, simply that some manuscript(s) were in Russia.

          I was involved in debunking their claims, in particular the tawdry cheap trick of trying to compare a medieval Hebrew Matthew with the Dead Sea Scrolls to gain public interest and support and finances, but I found more information hard to come by.

          >I have heard of some "Slavonic Pseudepigrapha" that may have come from the Byzantine church at some point of time, that to me would suggest a Greek geneology of some type, but I don't know of any Hebrew NT. Am I on the right track?

          Hebrew NT is usually a reference to the ShemTob Matthew (part of his anti-missionary
          "Evan Bohan" or "Touchstone" ) -- from Rabbi Shemtob ben Yitzhak ibn Shaprut. 1380 AD.

          Or it refers to the even later (and quite different) Muenster and DuTillet Matthews,
          from the 1500's.

          Vendyl Jones also got involved in some oddball claims about these texts.

          Now if something else specific is mentioned, that is fine, share away.
          I just want to let you know that "there may be no there there".

          There may only be a track to nowhere there.

          Shalom,
          Steven Avery
          Queens, NY
        • Jovial
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2007
            Malcom,

            I have not heard of a fragmentary first verse in Hebrew.  What is the name of the manuscript in question?

            Ted,

            As far as Hebrew manuscripts of the NT, history tells us that two books were written in Hebrew; Matthew and Hebrews.  The manuscripts of DuTillet (for Matthew) and Munster (for both Matthew and Hebrews) have been proposed as possible candidates for having come from the original Hebrew Matthew.  The Shem Tov, mentioned by Schmuel, is probably pretty ignorable, and I'm convinced was translated from a Latin source text and is not related to the original Hebrew Matthew at all.

            Does anyone have any more info on the Russian manuscript????

            Thanks,

            Joe

            ____________ ________

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2007
              Dear Joe,

              I think the verse in question is recorded by Epiphanius.  I do not have my references before me at present.  In addition this link provided by A. Criddle may be of further service in answering Ted's question(s).

              Because He lives,

              Malcolm
              ___________________

              Re: [textualcriticism] Hebrew NT

              Malcom,

              I have not heard of a fragmentary first verse in Hebrew.  What is the name of the manuscript in question?

              Ted,

              As far as Hebrew manuscripts of the NT, history tells us that two books were written in Hebrew; Matthew and Hebrews.  The manuscripts of DuTillet (for Matthew) and Munster (for both Matthew and Hebrews) have been proposed as possible candidates for having come from the original Hebrew Matthew.  The Shem Tov, mentioned by Schmuel, is probably pretty ignorable, and I'm convinced was translated from a Latin source text and is not related to the original Hebrew Matthew at all.

              Does anyone have any more info on the Russian manuscript????

              Thanks,

              Joe

              with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
            • Ted Clore
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2007
                Thank you for commenting on this, all.  What you have confirmed is that this is too vague and uncertain of an area for anyone to start making claims that the NT was written in Hebrew.  There is very little evidence, if any, that this was the case.  I especially appreciate the links provided as it will give me further reading.

                As is the case in many of these types of movements, there are many claims from the leaders that end in unsubstanciated claims that are offered as "proof".  The problem I see is that there is a tendency toward a "subjective theology" where there are efforts to glean information from various sources to give authority to the presuppositions of a particular leader or leaders.  This effort is eclectic in that it will hunt for any evidence that may be used to prop up these claims, even if it is vague and unsubstanciated, often from sources that are misread and used in a manner never intended.  I think this is the case here, someone has taken something speculative in nature (a Hebrew NT) and raised it to an sure doctrine.

                Blessings,
                Ted Clore
              • bob renard
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 13, 2007
                  Salut,

                  > Thank you for commenting on this, all. What you
                  > have confirmed is that this is too vague and
                  > uncertain of an area for anyone to start making
                  > claims that the NT was written in Hebrew. There is
                  > very little evidence, if any, that this was the
                  > case. I especially appreciate the links provided as
                  > it will give me further reading.

                  It is sure quite sure that there was a gospel that was
                  written in hebrew. He was in use by "jewish-christian"
                  such as "ebionites" or "nazaréens". That gospel may is
                  the primary source of the matthew gospel, or at least
                  is a version of that one.

                  Jérome says he saw a copy of it. I think Eusèbius too.

                  You must take a look there:
                  http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/apocrypha.html
                  to the gospels of the hebrews, of the nazoreans,and of
                  the ebionites.

                  They are searchers that writes about this, i think of
                  two at the moment: Robert Einsenman The Dead Sea
                  Scrolls and the First Christians: Essays and
                  Translations ; and in french "Le messie et son
                  prophète", see in english here :
                  http://www.lemessieetsonprophete.com/annexes/presentation-en.htm
                  that talk about links between "jewish-christianity"
                  and Islam.

                  Are they links to the texts of XIVe and XVIe siècles
                  you were all talking about ? I have heard about them,
                  but never found.

                  And links to a translation oh the aramean Matthew ?

                  thank you

                  En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Courriel vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non nollicités
                  http://mail.yahoo.ca Yahoo! Courriel