Matthew 9:8 - when the multitudes saw it, they marvelled

  • schmuel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2007
      Hi Folks,

        This one is for Wieland :-)

      Matthew 9:8
      But when the multitudes saw it, they marvelled,
      and glorified God, which had given such power unto men.

         It looks to me that you have the Peshitta supporting the "afraid"
      reading, and that looks simply wrong.

        This variant is little discussed and referenced, so folks are welcome
      to share any thoughts.  It reminds me conceptually a bit of Mark 1:41.

      Shalom,
      Steven Avery
      Queens, NY

    • schmuel
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2007
        Hi Folks,

          While this is a fascinating variant, please consider inoperative my note about
        the Peshitta.  The word there does have more of a "fear" connotation.

        Matthew 9:8
        But when the multitudes saw it, they marvelled,
        and glorified God, which had given such power unto men.

          Thanks.

        Shalom,
        Steven Avery
        Queens, NY