Mark 16:9-20 - Other Early Patristic Witnesses

  • James Snapp, Jr.
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 18, 2007
      I forgot to mention the following as possible third-century or
      earlier evidence for Mark 16:9-20 --

      Tertullian's statement in Apologeticum 21:23 --

      "However with certain disciples he lived in Galilee, a district of
      Judea, for forty days (Acts 1:3; location in Galilee deduced from Mt.
      28:7, 16 and/or Mk. 16:7), teaching them what they were to teach.
      (Mt. 28:20) Then, having ordained them to the duty of PREACHING
      THROUGHOUT THE WORLD, (Mk. 16:15) HE WAS TAKEN UP TO HEAVEN (Mk.
      16:19, Acts 1:9) in a cloud, much more truly than people like
      Proculus are wont to assert among you about Romulus. All these
      things with reference to Christ, Pilate, who himself also in his own
      conscience was now a Christian, reported to the then emperor
      Tiberius. But even the emperors would have believed on Christ, if
      either emperors had not been necessary to the world or if it had been
      possible for Christians too to be emperors. His disciples also
      scattered THROUGHOUT THE WORLD in accordance with the order of their
      teacher God." (cf. Mk. 16:15, 16:20)

      Another witness to consider is the "Rebaptism" material reworked by
      Ursinus; it's supposed to be contemporary with Cyprian (I think
      there's a link to this in the sidebar somewhere in the online
      "Authenticity of Mark 16:9-20").

      Also, the more I look at "Epistula Apostolorum," the more it looks
      like a cumulative case can be built for the idea that the author of
      "Epistula Apostolorum" knew and used Mark 16:9-20. That would be a
      second-century witness. Perhaps we can discuss the details of that
      in the near future.

      Curtisville Christian Church
      Indiana (USA)
      www.curtisvillechristian.org/Evidence.html