RE: [textualcriticism] Rev. 22:19 AFAIRHSEI

  • Larry Overton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007

      Happy New Year, everyone.

      Thanks for your reply, David. You said

      << There may be no difference in meaning, as the future and the subjunctive are often interchangeable in this kind of expression.  >>

      Would you please elaborate on this comment? While I agree that “the future and the subjunctive are often interchangeable in this kind of expression,” according to the morphology tools contained in my BibleWorks software and my old copy of _The Analytical Greek Lexicon_, pgs. 60f., both of the variants in this clause (AFAIRHSEI/AFELEI) are different forms of the 3 pers. sing. fut. ind. act. of AFAIREW, the latter reading being distinguished as second future. The only form of AFAIREW identified as subjunctive in this verse is in the first clause: AFELH. Of course, here too the reading of the TR differs from that of the Robinson-Pierpont, Hodges-Farstad and critical texts, having AFAIRH.

      Note: The parsing given on p. 61 of the _AGL_ for AFELEI is identified as “3 pers. sing. fut. 2, ind.—Gr. Sch. Tdf.” Of course, the _AGL_ was published before the WH or N/U texts, and so the critical texts referenced were those of Griesbach, Scholz & Tischendorf (1850).

      Larry G. Overton

      P.S. Regarding your note concerning the reading in Codex Alexandrinus, Cowper’s 1860 reproduction of Woide’s transcription of the text of the NT in A (02) has the reading AFELEI at the beginning of the clause in question.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007

        Hi Larry,

        Woops, I must have been thinking of the variant earlier in the verse.  Thanks for pointing this out; corrected now.