Eusebius and Matthew 28:19 - in the name of ...

  • schmuel
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2006
      Hi Folks,

      We were discussing a rather strained marginal-textcrit attack on the following text.

      Matthew 28:19
      Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
      baptizing them in the name of the Father,
      and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

      Now this has overwhelming manuscript and patristic support, I am interested
      though a bit more in discussing the Eusebius citation text.

      Peter Head quoted from his book, (thanks Peter).

      The omission of the phrase can be explained as due to Eusebius’ tendency to abbreviate, as Eusebius elsewhere often cites the longer form [Contra Marcellum I.1.9; I.1.36; Theologia III. 5.22; EpCaesarea 3 (Socrates, Eccl.Hist 1.8); Psalms 117.1-4; Theophania 4.8].

      I gather this is six such cases, instead of the commonly-stated-on-the-web four.
      Two of them I found on the web.

      http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf204.ix.ii.html
      Letter of Eusebius of Cæsarea to the people of his Diocese -
      323 AD

      our Lord, sending forth His disciples for the preaching, said,
      "Go teach all nations,
      baptizing them in the Name of the Father and of the Son,
      and of the Holy Ghost ".

      http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/eusebius_theophania_05book4.htm
      Theophania - Book 4

      After his resurrection from the dead, all of them,-- being together as they had been commanded,--went to Galilee, as He had said to them. But, when they saw Him, some worshipped Him, but others doubted. But He drew near to them, spoke with them, and said: "All power (both) in heaven and earth, is given to me of my Father. Go ye and make Disciples of all nations, and baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. And teach them to observe all that I have commanded you. And, behold! I am with you always even to the end of the world."

      And this summary is of the status of the works with the other four references
      is from Roger Pearse.

      http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/eusebius/works.htm
      Contra Marcellum, Against Marcellus  - [No English translations exist - RP]

      Eccl. Theol.: Ecclesiastica Theologia, Ecclesiastical Theology
      E. Klostermann, Eusebius' Werke 4 (GCS 14, 1906), 59-182.
      Revised by G. C. Hansen (GCS, 1972), with additions but unchanged pagination.

      Commentary on the Psalms
      Never been properly edited, or translated.  A huge work.  In the PG 23.
      Portions now being edited and translated in the Sources Chrétiennes series.