[textualcriticism] Inside the Box 3

  • dagoi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2006
      pg 3

      On Text Lines and Geographical Diffusion

      Though different text lines can exist in close proximity, the same text line
      will not exist in widely seperated locales for very long; each will develop
      characteristic errors that will accumulate over time. Within a local area a
      text will spread slowly out from the core area of the text line by contagious
      diffusion. When a copy of a text is brought to a far off place, say by a
      missionary, there is a type of hierarchical diffusion. A new core area will begin,
      and if the text is successful, the new core area will grow. At some point, if
      the borders between the areas are permeable, the core areas will meet and
      overlap. At this point, the text lines will be in a sort of competition and will
      get back and forth corrections and reaction readings. Reaction readings are
      border phenomena.

      On Diffusion and Anthology

      Considering two texts, their text line core areas may be similar or
      different, but they will rarely be exactly the same. Initially the two texts are each
      developing text lines separately, but when the idea to make an anthology
      occurs, local texts will be used with local text lines. The idea of the anthology
      will spread quicker than the initial copy of the anthology.

      The prior variation points will have a more jumbled witness constellation,
      but from the point where the anthologies are made locally, the anthologies will
      develop a more uniform witness constellation between the books for those
      variations and corections that get generated after the anthology is made. The
      anthology becomes the subject of the new text lines, and the books are not
      independent of it.

      So, we may be able eventually to show aspects of the growth of the Pauline
      Corpus or the 4 Gospel / Acts corpus, and further of the anthology of the
      corpuses into the whole New Testament and Bible. To do this we will have to find
      the subtle differences in witness constellations of the books and the corpuses,
      but it should be a relatively easy task to show such that Revelations was
      added last and somedey to place it into some relative chronology of error layers.

      I suppose this task will take me well beyond my retirement.

      Thanks,
      Bill Foley