RE: [textualcriticism] SBL, Codex W and Dr. Woodard

  • Williams, Dr Peter J.
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 15, 2006

      I spent about 10 minutes with him at SBL poring over the photo of a few marks on W which he claims to be Aramaic letters but neither of us moved in our convictions. Ultimately he violates a basic rule of argumentation: big claims require big evidence.

      Best wishes,

      Pete

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
        Message
        Thanks for posting this link, George. I was going to dig it up, but you got to it first.

        I don't know if Timothy is on the list right now, but I spoke with him at AAR/SBL about his forthcoming book. It was delayed due to font issues and the availability of some newer, sharper images, but should be seeing the light of day next year.

        HTH,
        James

        ________________________________
        James Spinti
        Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
        Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
        Fax: 574-269-6788

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
          I did not visit Dr Woodard but I did hear Ulrich Schmidt speak on the
          palaeographical dating of W. At the launch of the new book on the
          Freer MSS edited by Larry Hurtado, Dr Schmidt gave a compelling
          presentation that challenges the date assigned by Sanders as being too
          early, not too late. For more details, see the book:

          https://secure.aidcvt.com/sbl/ProdDetails.asp?ID=067006P&PG=1&Type=BL&PCS=SBL

          Best

          Tim Finney

          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "diggadonkey"
          <diggadonkey@...> wrote:

          > I was curious as to whether anyone on this list attended SBL, and if
          > so did they get a chance to visit Dr. Woodard's booth to see what he
          > had to show by way of evidence for 1st century dating ofCodex W. It
          > would seem that if such claims were true, this would be headline news
          > for all text crit. scholars. I'm also surprised the media hasn't
          > jumped on this story yet, considering the fuss they created over
          > Judas' gospel. Dr. Woodard clearly isn't beating his drums hard
          > enough. ; )
          >
          > -Steve

        • yennifmit
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
            Sorry, I incorrectly spelled the name of Dr Ulrich Schmid in my last post.

            Best

            Tim Finney