RE: [textualcriticism] SBL, Codex W and Dr. Woodard

  • Williams, Dr Peter J.
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 15, 2006

      I spent about 10 minutes with him at SBL poring over the photo of a few marks on W which he claims to be Aramaic letters but neither of us moved in our convictions. Ultimately he violates a basic rule of argumentation: big claims require big evidence.

      Best wishes,

      Pete

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 15, 2006
        Hi Folks,

          There is an irony that Dr. Woodard seems to act as if the most important aspect
        of this claim is the death of Q.  (Which many had buried anyway long ago. :-) )

          While of course his theories, if accurate, would simply resolve tons of textcrit
        issues in an instant and rewrite all textual history.

           At any rate it does sound like the subject matter is interesting
        (Aramaic notations in an early Greek manuscript).

        Shalom,
        Steven Avery
        Queens, NY

        Jim Darlack -
        I am not offering any value judgment on the validity of Woodard�s claims, but there is a website with more information:  http://www.washington-codex.org/
        I too would be interested in a response from the more learned folks on the list.

        From: diggadonkey
        I was curious as to whether anyone on this list attended SBL, and if so did they get a chance to visit Dr. Woodard's booth to see what he had to show by way of evidence for 1st century dating ofCodex W. It would seem that if such claims were true, this would be headline news for all text crit. scholars. I'm also surprised the media hasn't jumped on this story yet, considering the fuss they created over Judas' gospel. Dr. Woodard clearly isn't beating his drums hard enough. ; )
        -Steve
      • James Spinti
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
          Message
          Thanks for posting this link, George. I was going to dig it up, but you got to it first.

          I don't know if Timothy is on the list right now, but I spoke with him at AAR/SBL about his forthcoming book. It was delayed due to font issues and the availability of some newer, sharper images, but should be seeing the light of day next year.

          HTH,
          James

          ________________________________
          James Spinti
          Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
          jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
          Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
          Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
          Fax: 574-269-6788

          I am not offering any value judgment on the validity of Woodard’s claims, but there is a website with more information:

          http://www.washingt on-codex. org/

          I too would be interested in a response from the more learned folks on the list.

          Jim

          James M. Darlack
          Assistant Librarian for Reference & Bibliographic Instruction
          Goddard Library, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
          130 Essex Street , South Hamilton , MA 01982
          http://www.gordonco nwell.edu/ library/hamilton
          978.646.4004 Phone - 978.646.4567 Fax

          I was curious as to whether anyone on this list attended SBL, and if
          so did they get a chance to visit Dr. Woodard's booth to see what he
          had to show by way of evidence for 1st century dating ofCodex W. It
          would seem that if such claims were true, this would be headline news
          for all text crit. scholars. I'm also surprised the media hasn't
          jumped on this story yet, considering the fuss they created over
          Judas' gospel. Dr. Woodard clearly isn't beating his drums hard
          enough. ; )

          -Steve

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • yennifmit
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
            I did not visit Dr Woodard but I did hear Ulrich Schmidt speak on the
            palaeographical dating of W. At the launch of the new book on the
            Freer MSS edited by Larry Hurtado, Dr Schmidt gave a compelling
            presentation that challenges the date assigned by Sanders as being too
            early, not too late. For more details, see the book:

            https://secure.aidcvt.com/sbl/ProdDetails.asp?ID=067006P&PG=1&Type=BL&PCS=SBL

            Best

            Tim Finney

            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "diggadonkey"
            <diggadonkey@...> wrote:

            > I was curious as to whether anyone on this list attended SBL, and if
            > so did they get a chance to visit Dr. Woodard's booth to see what he
            > had to show by way of evidence for 1st century dating ofCodex W. It
            > would seem that if such claims were true, this would be headline news
            > for all text crit. scholars. I'm also surprised the media hasn't
            > jumped on this story yet, considering the fuss they created over
            > Judas' gospel. Dr. Woodard clearly isn't beating his drums hard
            > enough. ; )
            >
            > -Steve

          • yennifmit
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 18, 2006
              Sorry, I incorrectly spelled the name of Dr Ulrich Schmid in my last post.

              Best

              Tim Finney