Re: [textualcriticism] Re: A Brief Intro to NTTC Goals and Guidelines

  • brian.boland.dslw@oneteldsl8.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
       James Snapp, Jr. -said
      "When I say, "Textual criticism is a science, not an art," I mean that it is a restorative enterprise, not a creative one. The path to the restoration of the contents of the autograph may involve the textual
      critic's imagination and instincts, but they are employed in order to find something, not to create something. Any artistry in the end-product should be the author's artistry, not the textual critic's
      artistry."
      Brian Boland replies -
      When a painting is being renovated, it is a very difficult decision to remove some earlier restoration work to seek for the original [which may not be there !] There are no absolutes in the decision, so in that respect it must be an art !!!
      When a structure is designed whether a bridge, skyscraper or auto  the overall shape that is developed by the imagination is a form of art  The science then determines the details on how it stand up against the rigours of daily life.To restore a Model T Ford to its former condition should be accomplished without any imagination of the restorer just a highly skillful one of copying the original build techniques. ie just science
      Rufinus rewrote Tertullian's work, at Jerome's great displeasure because, he said, Tertullian asked questions, but Romans need answers. There was then at that time a desire to remove uncertainity in scriptual discussion and provide a firm basis of belief. It seems then it MAY have led to pressure being put on textural copying houses to standardise texts in much the same way as the KJV was endorsed in the English speaking world.The macro understanding of the text generation system may then have a bigger impact on the texts we now have before us than the examination of the minutiae of the copying pecularities of single scribes. Whether this "humanity" is called an art or science depends on where your cultural roots lie
      Brian j
      __BBBbbbbbbb,_Brian j._,___
    • Viktor Golinets
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
        Yesterday a page of the Codex Sinaiticus was displayed in the Leipzig
        University Library. It is the page 23 of folios that are in the Leipzig
        University Library and it contains the text from the Book of Jeremiah
        17.8b-18.6a. (A snap shot of the page is attached.)
          In a short lecture the history of the codex was sketched and the
        international Codex Sinaiticus project was introduced.

          See details under
          http://db.uni-leipzig.de/aktuell/index.php?pmnummer=2006371

        Viktor Golinets, M.A.

        Altorientalisches Institut
        Universität Leipzig

        Institut für Semitistik
        Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München

        Yahoo! 360° – Bloggen und Leute treffen. Erstellen Sie jetzt Ihre eigene Seite – kostenlos!.
      • Peter M. Head
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
          Thanks for this news.

          It is a pity that all the partners to the Sinaiticus project seem to have adopted this idea for publicity purposes that Sinaiticus is 'the oldest Bible in the world' - "die älteste Bibel der Welt" - which it plainly isn't. I'm quite happy with "eines der bedeutendsten Bibelmanuskripte der Welt" - no one could disagree with that.

          For the British Library on the "World's oldest Bible" see http://www.bl.uk/news/2005/pressrelease20050311.html

          Cheers

          Peter

          At 09:19 15/12/2006, you wrote:
          Yesterday a page of the Codex Sinaiticus was displayed in the Leipzig
          University Library. It is the page 23 of folios that are in the Leipzig
          University Library and it contains the text from the Book of Jeremiah
          17.8b-18.6a. (A snap shot of the page is attached.)
            In a short lecture the history of the codex was sketched and the
          international Codex Sinaiticus project was introduced.

            See details under
            http://db.uni-leipzig.de/aktuell/index.php?pmnummer=2006371

          Viktor Golinets, M.A.

          Altorientalisches Institut
          Universität Leipzig

          Institut für Semitistik
          Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München

          Yahoo! 360° – Bloggen und Leute treffen. Erstellen Sie jetzt Ihre eigene Seite – kostenlos!.

          Peter M. Head, PhD
          Tyndale House
          36 Selwyn Gardens
          Cambridge CB3 9BA