Re: [textualcriticism] Re: A Brief Intro to NTTC Goals and Guidelines

  • Gie Vleugels
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
      Good mornig (Brussels time),
      There are lots of excellent textual critics without any qualities in the 'traditional' artistic fields (poetry, music, painting ...). If we call TC an art, than it is not like the other arts at all.
      Gie Vleugels

      On 12/14/06, James Snapp, Jr. <voxverax@...> wrote:

      Greetings Brian B, James M., and Edward A.,

      Brian B -

      When I say, "Textual criticism is a science, not an art," I mean that
      it is a restorative enterprise, not a creative one. The path to the
      restoration of the contents of the autograph may involve the textual
      critic's imagination and instincts, but they are employed in order
      to find something, not to create something. Any artistry in the end-
      product should be the author's artistry, not the textual critic's
      artistry.

      James M. -

      No; I really and sincerely meant to write "Textual criticism is a
      science, not an art."
      (I did mean to say "stratum" rather than "strata," though.)

      Edward A. -

      I really don't think that textual criticism is an art, because the
      normal goal of art is to produce a work of art, rather than to
      restore or repair one. An artistic instinct may be a useful thing
      for a textual critic to have (if the author was artistic, at least),
      just as an artistic instinct may be required to repair a damaged
      sculpture, but the sculpture-repairer's goal is to restore -- and,
      where pieces are missing, to faithfully re-create -- the original
      sculpture, not to engage in his own artistic expression or to express
      anything except what the sculptor displayed. Conjectural emendation
      might overlap science and art -- like the re-creation of the
      pulverized fingers of a statue might -- but conjectural emendation is
      such a teensy-tiny aspect of New Testament textual criticism, it
      doesn't seem justifiable to let it drive the classification of T.C.
      into Art.

      Curtisville Christian Church
      Indiana (USA)
      www.curtisvillechri stian.org/BasicTC.html

      --
      Gie Vleugels

    • brian.boland.dslw@oneteldsl8.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
         James Snapp, Jr. -said
        "When I say, "Textual criticism is a science, not an art," I mean that it is a restorative enterprise, not a creative one. The path to the restoration of the contents of the autograph may involve the textual
        critic's imagination and instincts, but they are employed in order to find something, not to create something. Any artistry in the end-product should be the author's artistry, not the textual critic's
        artistry."
        Brian Boland replies -
        When a painting is being renovated, it is a very difficult decision to remove some earlier restoration work to seek for the original [which may not be there !] There are no absolutes in the decision, so in that respect it must be an art !!!
        When a structure is designed whether a bridge, skyscraper or auto  the overall shape that is developed by the imagination is a form of art  The science then determines the details on how it stand up against the rigours of daily life.To restore a Model T Ford to its former condition should be accomplished without any imagination of the restorer just a highly skillful one of copying the original build techniques. ie just science
        Rufinus rewrote Tertullian's work, at Jerome's great displeasure because, he said, Tertullian asked questions, but Romans need answers. There was then at that time a desire to remove uncertainity in scriptual discussion and provide a firm basis of belief. It seems then it MAY have led to pressure being put on textural copying houses to standardise texts in much the same way as the KJV was endorsed in the English speaking world.The macro understanding of the text generation system may then have a bigger impact on the texts we now have before us than the examination of the minutiae of the copying pecularities of single scribes. Whether this "humanity" is called an art or science depends on where your cultural roots lie
        Brian j
        __BBBbbbbbbb,_Brian j._,___
      • Viktor Golinets
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
          Yesterday a page of the Codex Sinaiticus was displayed in the Leipzig
          University Library. It is the page 23 of folios that are in the Leipzig
          University Library and it contains the text from the Book of Jeremiah
          17.8b-18.6a. (A snap shot of the page is attached.)
            In a short lecture the history of the codex was sketched and the
          international Codex Sinaiticus project was introduced.

            See details under
            http://db.uni-leipzig.de/aktuell/index.php?pmnummer=2006371

          Viktor Golinets, M.A.

          Altorientalisches Institut
          Universität Leipzig

          Institut für Semitistik
          Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München

          Yahoo! 360° – Bloggen und Leute treffen. Erstellen Sie jetzt Ihre eigene Seite – kostenlos!.
        • Peter M. Head
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
            Thanks for this news.

            It is a pity that all the partners to the Sinaiticus project seem to have adopted this idea for publicity purposes that Sinaiticus is 'the oldest Bible in the world' - "die älteste Bibel der Welt" - which it plainly isn't. I'm quite happy with "eines der bedeutendsten Bibelmanuskripte der Welt" - no one could disagree with that.

            For the British Library on the "World's oldest Bible" see http://www.bl.uk/news/2005/pressrelease20050311.html

            Cheers

            Peter

            At 09:19 15/12/2006, you wrote:
            Yesterday a page of the Codex Sinaiticus was displayed in the Leipzig
            University Library. It is the page 23 of folios that are in the Leipzig
            University Library and it contains the text from the Book of Jeremiah
            17.8b-18.6a. (A snap shot of the page is attached.)
              In a short lecture the history of the codex was sketched and the
            international Codex Sinaiticus project was introduced.

              See details under
              http://db.uni-leipzig.de/aktuell/index.php?pmnummer=2006371

            Viktor Golinets, M.A.

            Altorientalisches Institut
            Universität Leipzig

            Institut für Semitistik
            Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München

            Yahoo! 360° – Bloggen und Leute treffen. Erstellen Sie jetzt Ihre eigene Seite – kostenlos!.

            Peter M. Head, PhD
            Tyndale House
            36 Selwyn Gardens
            Cambridge CB3 9BA